Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Sounds like the caller didn't give the proper information in the first place and the fire department didn't act until someone was afraid a human would fall in and get hurt. I wonder how the dog got loose to roam and get into the river in the first place.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
To be fair, it's not the job of 911 to rescue animals. I mean I would be pissed if my house was on fire and the fire department was off rescuing a drowning dog.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My mini schnauzer was rescued by me from the shelter and they said a couple teenagers kept throwing him in a pond and made him swim back and he got so tired he would just fall under the water eventually and after a few minutes swim back and collaps on the land only to have them throw him back in the pond. Dogs breathe air they can drown. They are NOT fish.:eek:

·
Banned
749 Posts
My mini schnauzer was rescued by me from the shelter and they said a couple teenagers kept throwing him in a pond and made him swim back and he got so tired he would just fall under the water eventually and after a few minutes swim back and collaps on the land only to have them throw him back in the pond. Dogs breathe air they can drown. They are NOT fish.:eek:
I hope that someone threw the kids in the water and made them swim back and then threw them in again. People are blanked up for doing stuff like that. It's people that do things like that become people that murder people later in life sometimes.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
To be fair, it's not the job of 911 to rescue animals. I mean I would be pissed if my house was on fire and the fire department was off rescuing a drowning dog.

Unfortunately, that is the attitude around my parents house and at Philly. Philly I can understand because of the high crime rate, they just don't have time for 'cats in the tree' kind of thing; but around my parents house, excuse the phrase, but they just don't give a sh-t. If you called with something like that, they would either tell you straight forward that they wont answer this call and to call someone else, or put it 'on their list' and probably arrive about an hour after the dog as drowned, fully knowing this, just to get a report and act like they did something useful.

·
Registered
962 Posts
If I saw those kids throwing a min-schnauzer in to the water, over and over again, I would have gone crazy, that is my special breed, I would have hurt those punks, I would have gone to jail for sure.:mad:

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
While this is a bit OT.. when I was writing a weekly column for the local paper many years back one of the things reported to me was a story of teenagers regularly catching stray dogs (back then there were a lot of strays in that area.. this ws the mid 1980's). They would take the strays and stake them out on the tidal flats when the tide was out and then watch them drown as the tide came in.

The cruelty charge back then, IF THEY WERE CAUGHT (which did not happen often) was a misdemeanor. They were juveniles so at age 18 the record was purged.

In Fact, in this State cruelty to animals was not changed to a low level felony until the passing of Buster's Law (kid set fire to a cat that later died).

THERE IS NO LIMIT TO THE LEVEL OF CRUELTY PEOPLE CAN COME UP WITH.

Yes. Dogs can tire and drown just like any other animal. Not all animals can swim. I had a Standard Poodle we had to teach to swim (fun summer when I was a kid and we were at a camp in the Adirondacks).

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If I saw those kids throwing a min-schnauzer in to the water, over and over again, I would have gone crazy, that is my special breed, I would have hurt those punks, I would have gone to jail for sure.:mad:
Not if I was on the jury!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts