Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Woah... wolf-dog people, does that not look like a hybrid to you?

I wish we could see the rest of the body, and the tips of the ears... but the muzzle shape and the fur inside the ears makes me think hybrid.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The video says she is part wolf part collie. She is a beautiful dog.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Woah... wolf-dog people, does that not look like a hybrid to you?

I wish we could see the rest of the body, and the tips of the ears... but the muzzle shape and the fur inside the ears makes me think hybrid.

the video states she's a hybrid wolf x collie, the article says northern inuit, and i say lm not sure. the body is so very fluffy...

·
Registered
307 Posts
That is....horrible.

That is also why dogs and babies should *NEVER* be left unattended.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I read about this in another forum. Isn't the dog being put down? That is just aweful, I hate it when animals are punished for being......animals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
This happened recently in Western Australia a 3 year old female husky mauled a 2 day old baby girl whilst her mother was in the next room..the husky made no noise and killed the baby silently....mum came in an found husky with baby in mouth

·
Registered
823 Posts
The baby was left in his crib for only a few minutes. The dog carried the baby into the backyard, just like he had done many times with other household items. The parents acknowledged that the dog (I was told it was a "North American Inuit Dog" with "wolf in its ancestry") was not acting maliciously and could have killed the baby if he had wanted to. As far as I know, as long as the dog does not show signs of aggression, he will be put up for adoption to a family with no small children. Unfortunate, but I am happy no one was seriously injured.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
The baby was left in his crib for only a few minutes. The dog carried the baby into the backyard, just like he had done many times with other household items. The parents acknowledged that the dog (I was told it was a "North American Inuit Dog" with "wolf in its ancestry") was not acting maliciously and could have killed the baby if he had wanted to. As far as I know, as long as the dog does not show signs of aggression, he will be put up for adoption to a family with no small children. Unfortunate, but I am happy no one was seriously injured.

I was thinking as I read the article that the dog didn't sound vicious in any way. It sounded like a game of "cat an mouse" with the owner chasing him into the woods as part of the game.
The problem with pet owners is their inability to see these games as potential problems. It stated "the dog had done this many times with other household items. Dogs will repeat behaviors, especially behaviors that were fun or of some benefit to themselves. They do not all have the innate ability to differentiate between a toy and a baby. Think squeak toy. I am not trying to be gross either, it is just a fact. The baby carries OUR scent and makes noise. It got attention, which is probably what the dog was looking for.

I work in a hospital (I have for 18 years now) Today I was in the labor and delivery area. I was talking with a brand new mama and daddy about their new daughter. (she was beautiful) we started talking about dogs and got around to breeds etc... I told them about my dogs. They were very interested in getting a Rottweiler of their own. A large part of me thinks that a Rottweiler is the absolute BEST family dog. The other part of me was fearful that they would bring a Rottweiler (or any other dog) into the home with this brand new baby and not watch the baby close enough, or introduce the baby to the dog properly.
Do I think I am the only person capable of doing so? Have I just lost faith in people in general? They were a wonderful, responsible type of couple. They seemed the perfect home. I am just getting more and more sick of these types of stories and cringe when people want to put a dog and a child together. (I think dogs and kids are the best mix in the right situations) I just am becoming fearful, I guess.

The whole story above, and other like them, make me very sad.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The dog is officially a Native American Indian Dog. Without a doubt, that is what it is - the "piebald" markings especially give it away, and the earlier news articles clearly ID'd the dog as one before things got muddied up with the "wolf" word. (It's a different "breed" from Northern Inuit Dogs, Zim) We see many, many, MANY of these dogs come through the wolfdog rescue (in fact, I can think of 5 of them off the top of my head that are up for adoption right now).

It's a designer breed that some claim is a wolf hybrid. Personally, I do believe that there is wolf in the NAID's ancestry, based on what I have heard from the wolfdog rescue people up in Michigan where the breed originated. They are very familiar with this breed's founder. HOWEVER, there has been no wolf input for many many generations, so I really think the "wolf" here is a moot point... the breed has really been diluted down to mainly Collie and Malamute, even though it retains quite a bit of wolfy phenotype. I really do hesitate to call them "wolf hybrids", I think they are simply NAID's. They have more recent wolf ancestry than other breeds, but not recent enough to even get officially labeled by Wolfdog Rescue Resources as a wolfdog. They really are their own unique "beast", less intense than true wolfdogs as a rule, but more intense/primitive than most dog breeds. I'd say they are similar to other primitive breeds like Shikoku-Ken, Siberian Laika, Kaeralian Bear Dogs, New Guinea Singers, etc.

My personal opinion is that the dog didn't intend to cause harm, but was following a natural instinct to either a) carry an interesting new object to a quiet spot, or b) carry a puppy back to the den. That doesn't make the grief this family must be feeling any easier to bear, I'm sure. But the dog, IMO, is hardly "vicious" or "dangerous" or "unpredictable". NO dog should be left alone with a newborn.

BTW, last I heard, a sanctuary in the area was trying to pull the dog and get it to safety.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
thanks nekomi for the correction.

I get snow dog(my own personal term for the spitzes/primitive northerns that includes wolfdogs) breeds mixed up. the only varieties I'd ever be able to reliably pick out of a line up is a really high content wolfdog and an elkhound.

I like them...just not my first dohggy luff ya know?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts