Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been looking for options for a doggie door or alternative for my back door that opens to our fenced in back yard. Currently, I've just left the door open basically 24/7 so the pups can come and go as they please. But with the Alabama summer upon us, the heat and bugs that are being let in makes it nearly impossible to stand.
I've attached a picture of the door. The glass pane in the middle is my concern. Is there a way to even add a dog door to it?

I've attached a picture of the door.

Budgets are tight and DIY options are welcomed too...I just wanted some imput from others who have experienced the same situations.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
This thing, believe it or not. No, it's not quite as good for keeping the heat out, but our backyard is shaded and it DOES actually keep things a lot cooler than just the door standing open. HUGE help with the bugs. (Last summer, I also left my back door standing open all the time, because I don't want to cut a hole in the house, and our door is metal). This thing (well, another brand, this was just the first link I found) was < 20.00 at a home improvement store. Took 15 minutes to install and works.

ETA: http://www.amazon.com/Marketing-MM011124-As-Seen-TV/dp/B005KKAB0O <=-- This is the one we actually have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! I hadn't even thought of that. I remember seeing commercials for in in the past, but didn't even think that it'd be good for animals too. Thanks a bunch! :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I dont think you can put a dog door in your door with all that glass. If you want to go dog door, look for an architectural salvage store near you. They typically have a ton of cheap used doors. Cut a hole in the replacement door and store the original somewhere so you can always put it back on. Not much help for you but ecobargins in Springfield MA is great for this sort of thing.
I will warn I've heard a few stories of other animals getting inside through pet doors...

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
When I was at the racetrack, I just took made a bunch of plastic strips and hung them in the door and they kept the bugs out. That door that Captjack showed looks ideal. I may go and buy one for my door instead of a screen door as I do know they work.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
This thing, believe it or not. No, it's not quite as good for keeping the heat out, but our backyard is shaded and it DOES actually keep things a lot cooler than just the door standing open. HUGE help with the bugs. (Last summer, I also left my back door standing open all the time, because I don't want to cut a hole in the house, and our door is metal). This thing (well, another brand, this was just the first link I found) was < 20.00 at a home improvement store. Took 15 minutes to install and works.

ETA: http://www.amazon.com/Marketing-MM011124-As-Seen-TV/dp/B005KKAB0O <=-- This is the one we actually have.
You beat me to it! I was just going to suggest that, there sell them at Drs fosterand smith.com as well-- different sizes to fit different door opening, but are more expensive($40)-- I didnt think to look at the homeimprovement store that is a great idea!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts