Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there!

I've got a small puggle, Mac, who's been living with me for about 5.5 years now. Until last week, I FINALY got a great dog door, so I don't have to open the door for him every time he scratches the door, the signal he uses that he wants to come in or out.

The dog door is a double flap door with magnets to secure them. At first I tried no flaps, and he'd go through. Then I still didn't add flaps but I taped a towel to the hole, and he still would go through. But when ever I try to use the flaps, even one, he whines and cries while standing in front of the door. I tried tapping a towel to the flap and he wouldn't budge.

What I found out was that if you slightly lift the flaps up, he'll go through with them rubbing his back. It looks as though he's asking for my approval to go through the door, or that I have some kind of power to let him pass. I've been desperately trying for 3 weeks now, and he still needs me to lift the flaps up, just barley for him to pass.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or any companies with good dog trainers that could help (that aren't too expensive)? Thanks!

- FancyPantsMan

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Try luring him through with his favorite treat. Starting with the flaps all the way up, then a little down, then more down, etc.

Dogs don't see doors the way we do. As far as I can tell, but for a few genius dogs, doors are magical moving walls that only humans possess the power to change. If you look at a door that way, you can see why a dog door would be confusing at first.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Teaching them to go through the doggy door is a lot like when we train a dog to go through the chute in Agility. You start out lifting it for them, giving them a big treat and lots of good dog. Then you slightly lower it and in no time they are running through it with it right down. It is a lot lighter than a doggy door so maybe if you could just put something lighter hanging down till he is used to it, then gradually when he is used to it, put the regular door on it. Once they get the idea of pushing their way through it should be no problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All good advice. We have had a dog door for years & every dog was trained by using high value treats as a reward when they used the door. We would wait on the outside, slightly open the flap so they could smell the treat & then reward them with it when they came thru the flap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's done it!

After practicing for around ten minutes each day, he's finally going in and out on his own!

I guess the trick was just patience, and more food. Thanks for all your help and tips guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts