Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone has had this issue and solved it or someone has a good idea. I have four dogs, one of them is a giant breed and the other three small, and one dog door that we've had for year that accommodates our giant. Two of the smaller dogs have always been able to use the door easily, however, our newest addition, a mini Dachshund, is able to get out but unable to use it to get back in. The problem is there's about a foot and a half drop from the inside of the house to the outside, so he can easily push the flap and jump down when he wants to go out, but he's unable to, when he's outside, to push the flap open (he's lower than the door) and jump in. When I've held the flap open for him he can jump in though. We've thought of a ramp but it can't block the dog door otherwise our big guy won't be able to get out and in. The dog door is one of those that fits into a sliding glass door. I'd rather he not jump as Dachshunds are prone to spinal issues, and he's had them before, so a ramp would be ideal in a way. Any suggestions? I don't have any other places I could put in another dog door either.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
that is what I was thinking a single block, or ramp only the width of your Dachshund.. well cushioned to prevent injury to your other dogs until they realize it is there to know to maneuver around it going out the dog door.. Or the other possibility of putting in another dog door just to accomadate the Dachshund. Right next to my laundry room door where I have a dog door in the door... the wall space would accommodate cutting out another dog door for a mini Dachshund and putting a full ramp that wouldn't block the door from opening or the other dogs accidentally stepping wrong on it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Could you build some sort of 'step' on the outside that would enable him to hop up & then be able to gain entry? If it was even with the threshold of the dog door, it shouldn't prohibit entry from the larger dogs... ??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts