Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 8-month old that's a mix of several working breeds. She is extremely active and gets a lot of exercise.

However, whenever we take her anywhere like a dog park, playground - basically anywhere that's outside where she gets exercise - she never seems to want to drink!

She'll spend half an hour chasing after a ball at high speed in 90 degree heat, and never wants to stop. She pants and drools, and you can tell she's getting a little hot and tired because she'll walk rather than run the ball back, and she'll lie down every once in a while.

However, it seems like no matter how tired she gets, she won't drink! We've tried getting her her own water bowl. As soon as she starts to go in for a drink, suddenly something much more interesting happens: like a person, dog, or tennis ball.

Should I be concerned? Or, if push came to shove, would she finally drink if she were TRULY thirsty?

If I SHOULD be concerned, how do I get her to drink? She needs her exercise!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's not that unusual. Some dogs will refuse to drink out of their bowl at home if you move it a foot to the left. Try to make the water more appealing. Try cold bottled water. Add sodium free chicken broth. Bring ice cubes in a cooler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not that unusual. Some dogs will refuse to drink out of their bowl at home if you move it a foot to the left. Try to make the water more appealing. Try cold bottled water. Add sodium free chicken broth. Bring ice cubes in a cooler.
At what point should I started to be concerned?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts