Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
Those of you that have used a DNA test, or those of you that know about some good ones... can you suggest some brands?

I have a friend that is curious about using one. The mother of her dog was a Dogue de Bordeaux (that much is known for sure), but the father was "conveniently not there. Was sold to her as a "pure" bred DDB... but as it has gotten older it is obvious that it is not. There seems to be some Rottie in there.

So she's just getting curious and would like to know what DNA tests are good out there!

I really dont know anything about them haha! But thanks so much all!
Nessa

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I used BioPet Vet Labs....I don't think they have DDB on their breed list, but I'm sure they have Rotties :) . I can't speak as to the other brands but I was satisfied.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Make sure you use a DNA test that uses actual blood not a cheek swab. They give more accurate results.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used BioPet Vet Labs....I don't think they have DDB on their breed list, but I'm sure they have Rotties :) . I can't speak as to the other brands but I was satisfied.
Great thanks Willowy! I'll have her look into that. Since she SAW the momma and KNOWS it was a DDB, that is pretty good... so she just wants to know what the dad was.
Was it a blood test or swab?

Make sure you use a DNA test that uses actual blood not a cheek swab. They give more accurate results.
Thanks Darkmoon... I'll let her know that as well... and see what she chooses!

Thanks so much you guys.
Nessa

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used these people (it is a cheek swab test) http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-breed-test.html

Of course, I have no way (other than another test by some other lab) to verify the results, but they make sense looking at my two dogs.

Dixie the one in front: 50% Schnauzer, German Shepherd, Cocker Spaniel and Shetland Sheepdog.

Pixie: 50% Schnauzer, Collie, English Springer Spaniel, Shetland Sheepdog.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Was it a blood test or swab?
BioPet uses cheek swabs. I'm not convinced the blood tests are more accurate. Every time someone on here uses the Wisdom test, the results come back weird. Like it's too sensitive or something (Glen of Imaal Terrier? Really?). The swab tests seem to be pretty accurate.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Out of curiosity, on what do you base this claim?

DNA is the same regardless...I suppose there could be some doubt as to the quality of the sample but I think most people can handle a cheek swab :)

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

DNA is the same regardless...I suppose there could be some doubt as to the quality of the sample but I think most people can handle a cheek swab :)
The blood test are done by Vets, you don't take them.

I've just noticed so far that people who have done the cheek swab test have gotten some WEIRD answers while people that have done the blood test have gotten better answers. I think it has more to do with the company that does them over what they use to do the DNA test.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would recommend Wisdom Panel. But what you need to do is first write down what breeds you think are in the dog, then look at their list and see if they are in their tested breeds. If they are, then do the test. If it's not in the tested breeds list, you will probably get faulty results. I had the test done with Betty, the Cattle Dog I had, and she turned up primarily Cattle Dog. Here's the link....

http://www.wisdompanel.com/

It is a blood test, so your vet will have to draw the blood and send it in to them. Takes roughly 3-4 weeks. And they have the largest list of tested breeds as well. I'm not sold on cheek swabs myself.

·
Registered
442 Posts

In addition to what DarkMoon said, there's less of a chance of "user error" and contamination when a vet draws blood.

I'm seriously thinking of doing this with our Mayzie, and from the research I've done, the blood test is a much better way to go.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
As a medical lab scientist, I felt the cheek swabs were more than sufficient for my purposes and contained the breeds I suspected. But then I've done hundreds of cheeks swabs on humans. You do need to follow the directions closely and use good technique as ...garbage in, garbage out. But DNA is DNA no matter whether it comes from blood cells or cheek cells.

We used BioPet and the results seemed very accurate. They nailed the main breed and the secondary bred. The lesser breeds included (something like less than 5% of her DNA) were a bit odd. But the main story was accurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts