Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back Kaylee's DNA results. She is pretty mixed but the three main breeds in her parents were Husky, Australian Shepherd and...Silky Terrier. I can totally see the Husky/Aussie mix...but Silky Terrier? There were also some trace breeds such as American Eskimo Dog, Shetland Sheepdog and Finnish Spitz which all make sense to me. The weird breed really is just the Silky Terrier. Here are some photos of her...what do you think?

Silky Terriers do have a blue hue in their coat which she has some patches of...hmmm...I know these tests aren't 100% accurate but everything else definitely fit!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I could run a DNA test on my boy and have him come back as a mix.

Your girl is adorable and I think I could see hints of most of those breeds but silky? Not so much, lol

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if I could run a DNA test on my boy and have him come back as a mix.

Your girl is adorable and I think I could see hints of most of those breeds but silky? Not so much, lol
People have already done that, and its come back with breeds that were not even used in the making of the breed.

OP: I don't see silky at all, but the others are a pretty good guess.

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
I wonder if our dogs ran DNA tests on their owners - would they come back with random results like, "50% sea otter, 30% anteater, 20% human."

I also wonder if some of these DNA testing companies get a photo with the DNA sample and post it on dogforums with the question, "So what is it?"

It's 5 a.m. on a Monday, and I'm wondering about a lot of things.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For what it's worth, her dad was a Husky/mix and her mom was a Silky Terriee/Aussie/mix...it's possible her mom looked more Aussie than silky, but still...weird.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mercy came back as 1/4 Akita, 1/4 JRT and 1/8 Border Collie. I can definitely see the first two, but not the BC. Although with the way she herds the cats, it makes a certian amount of sense.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit came back as Golden/Lab/Chesapeake Bay Retriever (believable), chinook (not believable), Sheltie (believable), and Kerry Blue Terrier/Mini Schnauzer (so not believable that it threw the whole test into question for me). Maybe they just throw in a random terrier or two to every test result just for fun.

·
Registered
510 Posts
She's cute whatever she may be. I'll be honest, having worked in a vet's office for a few years now I don't have much faith in DNA testing. We tell owners to go for it if you have money to blow on curiosity but it's rarely accurate in our experience. I watched a puppy who looked like a newfoundland mix come back as weim x bulldog x fox terrier. Really? lol.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I wonder if our dogs ran DNA tests on their owners - would they come back with random results like, "50% sea otter, 30% anteater, 20% human."

I also wonder if some of these DNA testing companies get a photo with the DNA sample and post it on dogforums with the question, "So what is it?"

It's 5 a.m. on a Monday, and I'm wondering about a lot of things.
I've wondered that, too.

As to the dog in question, that is one adorable dog. I'd believe Eskie x Australian, but Silky? Not so much.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I guess I'll never really know for sure! She's definitely party Aussie...the Eskie is there too and I suppose husky makes sense...overall a fun experience. Oh and interestingly enough, I posted a review on Amazon saying I am not so sure about the Silky Terrier...the DNA testing company called me to try and offer an explanation...I guess a lot of people get "weird" results!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts