Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new guy here - We recently became the owners of a Beagle puppy. We got her at 7 weeks and she is now nearly 4 months old. She is to be an outside dog as all my dogs have been. Due to the weather being nice, she is outside most of the time except evenings when she's been sleeping inside in her crate.

Recently, she has begun digging. I have heard in the past that many times this may be a sign of a dog being "bored"; however, she will do this immediately after we have played with her and gone inside. She does not seem to do it while we are gone, but rather while we are at home and she is in the yard.

I've had many dogs in the past, but haven't had a puppy recently, since my last dog lived to be 13. I know that dog yards tend to be "well traveled" to say the least, but this puppy seems to be digging just for attention - well, I'd love to ignore it, but I also can't have a completely grassless cratered yard. We are somewhat at our wit's end with her and would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps she wants to play more. You must be consistent in reprimanding her that you do not like her to dig. Or, you can also try designating a certain area where she can do her digging.
The problem is, she doesn't do the digging when we are outside - so how to teach her that that is the behavior we don't want? I would gladly have her dig in a certain area.

To some extent, I think it is just curiosity. She digs many times in places where there are things on or in the ground (as if trying to find out what is underneath them)...but again, she's destroying the yard - and while I am not crazy about a great yard, I wonder if its only a matter of time before she does this at the fence and gets out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hiya!

My husky was a digger when I first got her... my trainer recommended that I get a kiddy pool and fill it with dirt or sand (which I did) and bury bones in there for her to find... if you see her digging elsewhere, put her in the pool so she gets to the hint that the pool is her place to dig.

It totally worked for my husky... PLUS if you hide stuff in there, it becomes a cool game for them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know it works for me .. Get a pile of poop and fill the holes with the poop you gathered that should work a charm!
I tried this for my puppy, but it only stopped him digging in *those* areas where he's already dug, and it's not feasible to fill every inch of the yard with poop. Sometimes the Grand Peanut likes to dig to lay in cool earth, sometimes to bury a toy or a chewie or a bone.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya!

My husky was a digger when I first got her... my trainer recommended that I get a kiddy pool and fill it with dirt or sand (which I did) and bury bones in there for her to find... if you see her digging elsewhere, put her in the pool so she gets to the hint that the pool is her place to dig.

It totally worked for my husky... PLUS if you hide stuff in there, it becomes a cool game for them.
I have never heard this before - sounds like a great idea. I realize she'll dig some to have holes to lay in, but this sounds great for her "recreational digging"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts