Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Under normal circumstances, I am really good about brushing my labradoodle and having her professionally groomed on a regular basis. Due to COVID, we were unable to get her in for grooming until 3 days ago (last grooming before that was probably in early Feb). She had some pretty bad matting and had to get a close shave this time around (Trust me I’ve learned my lesson and won’t let this happen again!!!) She has been really sad and almost catatonic since she got home. Sprints between her bed, the couch, and under my bed and doesn’t like standing up and walking around at all. She doesn’t like being pet or held like she usually does. She hardly looks me in the eye! I can imagine it must be a big adjustment for her going from having a big fluffy coat to almost nothing... but what can I do at this point? At what point should I take her to the vet... I just want my dog back! How long do y’all think it will take for her to get used to her new cut. This is just so so sad!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi there. I’m sorry your dog got matted. Shaving can be quite a shock. I’m glad you realize how important brushing & combing really are.
Is she eating and drinking normally? Are there any other signs that would point to an illness? Could she have had a negative experience at the groomer, besides the shaving?
Dogs emotions are different than humans. She may be confused, but I doubt she is depressed from being shaved.
Give her some time to get used to it. The Vet unfortunately can’t do much for a “depressed” dog.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I have had several dogs that acted odd after being clipped. One of them (a Shih Tzu cross) was scared of her tail, guess she could not feel it when she had a long coat. They all got over it within a short time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts