Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year, our town's dog training association has a Christmas banquet. Speeches, mostly boring. Members and spouses are mostly middle-aged, and there is a pretty large group. They all eat like they've been starving for a year!

I was thinking of livening it up. I have 11 months to do my plan. It is to teach my dog to dance with me ... maybe more than one dog and more than one woman to do the routine. It depends on whether I can persuade any of my friends to go along with this plan. We'd use Christmas rock music. Maybe we'd call our act Old Dogs ... New Tricks.

I am old, too (55) but I can still shake a leg well enough to do my part. The trick is going to be whether I can teach Aidan.

Can all dogs stand on their hind legs and hop a few steps?

What do you all think of this idea? Not only would it be fun for Aidan and me, it would definitely break up the boring speeches. Plus, it would be a first for the association.

(Yes, I'd wear Spanx under my clothes!)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I think Aiden could dance. My one Schnauzer (terrier)/Poodle, Leeo does ballet by going around in circles forever on his two back legs to get a treat. :) He even just stands on his back legs for a length of time to be able to see over an object to be nosey! Lol!

Those Terriers can dance I"m telling Ya!! Lol! :)

Great Idea IMO!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think this is a great idea!
Are you thinking of choreographing a canine freestyle type routine or doing something where they stand on their back legs and do a ‘waltz’ kind of dance?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you all for the encouragement. Not waltzing, but I do want him to be able to do that particular move. This will be canine freestyle. I figure I can teach him the moves on cue, and we'll work on putting it all together. Even if it doesn't work out for the banquet, I think it will be a fun project for us to do while we are mostly inside during the winter.

I got the idea because I was dancing in the kitchen to a song that came on the radio, and Aidan ran up with a multiple-squeaker toy and ran around me squeaking madly. When the song was over and the DJ was talking, Aidan sat in front of the radio, looking up at it, like he was wondering why the music stopped.

Our song will be "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree".

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Sounds like a terrific idea! Seems like you have a start. As far as I know, size and arthritis are the only things stopping a dog from walking/jumping on his back legs. Typically with canine freestyle, you teach the moves, and then match the style and rhythm to the dog. It sounds like ya'll have already started with "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree".

Although he knows some of the moves, unfortunately neither my dog....nor his owner.... have any sense of rhythm :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think if Aiden doesn't have any joint problems, why not? I would enjoy that much more than some boring speech!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I say Go for it! I'm in my 60s and dancing competitively with my dogs (and loving it). Not all dogs are great at walking on hind legs. I teach a lot of different stuff and then highlight the things the dog loves and is physically comfortable with. If you have a group working together, you can have somethings you do in unison (heeling, weaves, etc.) and then highlight each dog's strong move. That would also allow for a wider level of skill, as some of the easiest moves can still look impressive. Who knows, you may get a bunch of people hooked on freestlye. It is challenging, but light hearted. And if there are no competitions near you, there are a few organizations which have regular video competitions. I'm apprenticing to be a WCFO judge and taking a break from shadow judging a competition right now. Oh. And we want pictures. Here is Alice and me doing "Jazz Hands" in our Ukulele Lady routine (Beginner, Sassy Sr. Beginner and Sassy Sr. Novice titles - we have now retired our Palm tree and moved to a new routine)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
That is too cool! :) I think I saw this dog on television. ... If not, it sure looked like the same dog. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts