Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,198 Posts
In your position, I'd be looking for a qualified behaviorist. Think of a trainer like a schoolteacher, whereas a behaviorist is like a therapist. These can be veterinary behaviorists - fully trained vets who took further training/education into animal behavior and behavior modification, including medicine - or canine behaviorists who have either studied in an academic program or become certified through a group like CCPDT. The latter can't prescribe medication, but they can offer a lot more insight into behavioral therapy you can do to mitigate her symptoms and help her learn how to function in her new life. They may still suggest you talk to your regular vet about medication if they think she would benefit.

Just a warning that anyone can legally call themselves a behaviorist, which is why I emphasized finding someone with third-party credentials or certification from a trusted institution, or who comes recommended from a trusted vet. CCPDT actually has a search function on their website that can help you find whether they've certified anyone in your area.

I also mentioned medication a few times - basically doggy prozac and the like. My personal feelings towards this is that if a dog is so anxious that they cannot function in the home, it might be worth it to consider anxiety medication. This is not - or should not be - just a sedative to make her stop acting stressed, but actual psychiatric medication that allows her brain to process stress in a healthier way and stabilize enough that she can understand she's safe and learn how to function and cope in this big new world. Some dogs need it for life, but quite a few can be weaned off once they've learned those better coping skills. A vet doesn't have to be a behaviorist to prescribe them, so this is an option even if you can't find a professional to help you with behavior modification right away. And yes, I've seen anxiety medication work wonders on a friend's dog - really amazing results, and now the dog lives a full life, including participating in dog sports/events.

If you're curious, I love this article: http://www.drjensdogblog.com/behavior-medication-first-line-therapy-or-last-resort/

Wishing you so much luck. She's so lucky to have found you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts