Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I found a stray dog(pit bull mix) and we decide to keep it after going 2 weeks without being able to locate the owner. He’s such a sweet and loving dog but he has some issues. First, he cries a lot and barks when we leave him. Figured he has some sort of separation anxiety. He goes crazy when he’s left alone. It initially continues for a little while but then calms downs after a while. However, the he gets supers destructive when he is first left alone while he is crying, whining and barking. How can I fix this or what are she suggestions to help with this? He’s so loud.

·
Super Moderator
3,782 Posts
It's fairly normal for dogs to get upset when their owners leave them. It is not necessarily separation anxiety, at least when we're referring to an actual disorder. That he eventually calms down indicates to me that it's not SA. Check out this video by Kikopup to help acclimate your dog to being left alone:

If he's being very destructive while left alone, you have a couple of options:

1. Pick up things that he likes to destroy or block access to things he likes to destroy. If that does not work, you might also:

2. Confine him to a dog proofed room, whether that be using baby gates or closing doors. That could be a bathroom, laundry room, unfinished basement, whatever you can use. If he's a house eater and/or you don't have a safe room for him to be in (eating sheetrock, ripping up carpet, eating trim work, cabinets, destroying door frames, etc.) you can:

3. Use a crate to prevent him from destroying things entirely. You may want to look up "Crate Games" to help acclimate him to a crate if that's something you choose to do. You could also use an exercise pen, but I'm just assuming this dog is an adult and athletic enough to escape a pen meant for small dogs and puppies, so that might not be an option unless he's unwilling to cross a barrier.

What you choose to do is going to depend on the dog's destructiveness, your home, and your personal preferences.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Always wise counsel from Lillith.

In addition I would suggest that you educate yourself on the subject of Separation Anxiety
You could start here...
Go to akc.org, search separation anxiety.

Uncle Foster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awwee. I feel pity for the dog. My dog once was like that, but when I got another dog to be with him when we leave he didn't cry or have separation anxiety anymore. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts