Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had loose dog issues on my walks before but today was my first so I figured I'd share.

I was walking Hawkeye and Kechara on one of our usual walking places (a dead end road with very little traffic)

I was walking them down the road when I can up on one of the houses that I always pass and this time there was a big Golden Retriever in the yard with a young girl the girl was about 11 years old (more than capable of handling the dog IMO). SO I just kept walking watching the dog out of the corner of my eye and keeping Hawkeye on track.

Finally the Golden saw us and she put her tail up and started the big tough dog trot toward us. She got near her boundary line and growled about 6 feet from us and I stepped in front of my dogs toward her and I yelled "NO!!" in my mean growly voice.

She seemed to accept my command and started lowering her tail a bit and wagging it slowly.

So I'm thinking "OK little girl come get your dog now" I look up and little girl is gone WTH!? So he Golden decides to greet us and she walks across the road and walks up to Kechara and the girls start sniffing each other, and then the Golden and Hawkeye say Hi.

and Finally after a couple minutes a man walks out of the house and calls the dog to him, the dog obeys and runs back home I just waved to the guy, and he just looks at me like I'm nuts or something *shrug*

I was happy our first encounter was with a friendly dog.

·
Banned
335 Posts
What do you think would have happened if you had just kept walking and ignored the Golden?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thank goodness it was a friendly dog, and a peaceful encounter!!

I've not been so lucky, but probably because I live in a busy, big town, outside of Atlanta, GA... -.- People are so rude around here!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What do you think would have happened if you had just kept walking and ignored the Golden?
If the dog was aggressive it would have probably attacked us as soon as I turned away. But this particular dog wanted to follow us.

I don't' like to turn my back on a dog that's growling at me. My original intent with my "NO!!" was to stop the dog in it's tracks (which it did) but I also hoped it would intimidate the dog and hopefully it wouldn't come closer. But this dog wanted to make friends after she figured out we weren't intruders

·
Banned
335 Posts
Right, *if* the dog was aggressive. I guess I'm trying to figure out why you felt compelled to growl at the dog, which could have been construed as an attack? Has the dog ever shown signs of aggression before?

I'm not necessarily critical of people who use a growly voice at dogs that are loose. There is a pack of dogs down the road from me and they are a clear danger to other dogs in the neighborhood. More than once they've rushed me and have tried to harm my dogs if we are out walking. I've used my growly voice on them and it seems to help keep them away from me. I wonder, though, if you didn't just jump the gun a bit? A growly voice is just like any other tool a trainer has--although you can't be considered to be training another person's dog in that situation, if you can't/won't back up a "command," then you shouldn't use it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in a town where dogs often roam free. My dog is not great with others especially when she is on a leash. One thing that I noticed is if another dog is approaching instead of yelling at the dog I tell the dog that he is a good dog. Normally they will start wagging their tail and thats it. Obviously if a dog is charging I change my tune. Theres a trail behind my apartment that I walk or ride almost every day. On average encounter 5+ dogs off leash(my dog is also off leash on the trail) When she meets a new dog I tell them both that they are good. It really seems to calm both dogs. Just an idea. I know every town is different.
Deeppowder

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has the dog ever shown signs of aggression before?
I've never seen the dog before

A growly voice is just like any other tool a trainer has--although you can't be considered to be training another person's dog in that situation, if you can't/won't back up a "command," then you shouldn't use it.
I find that sometimes sounds can work in my advantage. I have used this way before with success. I suppose my other option would be to just stand there and wait.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I've never seen the dog before

I find that sometimes sounds can work in my advantage. I have used this way before with success. I suppose my other option would be to just stand there and wait.
Stick to your methods, I wouldn't argue with your success. You're the one reading the dog, I would rather throw a firm command when dog is at a distance than wait until close as I want to read dog's reactions to command. Of course, I'm 6 days older than dust and reflexes aren't what they should be so I need the added time to read.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I suppose my other option would be to just stand there and wait.
Just standing there might also be considered confrontational, especially if you make eye contact. You never did answer my question: what do you think would have happened if you'd kept walking and just ignored the dog?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think you did the right thing. Thankfully, it worked out for you too. My Golden Retriever confrontation didn't end so well. Carsten ended up with a 4+ inch long gash in his side. :( I didn't see that dog coming or I would have had words for it as well.
I am guessing the little girl in your case ran to get her dad. I am shocked how often people just stand there as their dogs are running after another dog or barking and growling at a person. I wouldn't just stand there if my dogs were doing that.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
What kind of question is that Loup? Clearly Keechak thought her dogs would come to harm if she didn't do something.

I would (and have) done the same thing. I'm not going to play "stand and wait" with the Shepherds....it won't end well (Strauss does not take kindly to dogs running up into his face...he defers to me...if there's time).

If a dog is coming at me and my dogs with its tail up and stiff, I'm not taking chances.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have had dogs "mock charge" me or just stand there and bark. In most of these cases I continue walking and completely ignore the dog, keeping Hunter on track as well, not allowing him to make eye contact. I find this reaction tells the dog that his behavior is not cared for and that we aren't a threat what-so-ever. I have never had to proceed further because ignoring has worked thus far.

I don't think that girl should have left the dog or been 'in charge' of the dog (since the dog wasn't tied up or anything) if she didn't care to control it/watch over it. Then I love how the adult comes out and looks at you like YOUR crazy. Some people...:rolleyes:

·
Banned
335 Posts
It's a legitimate question. I never said "stand and wait." If you remember, I said that standing and waiting would be just as confrontational (if not moreso). She pretty much used dog language to dare the other dog to make a move and fortunately the other dog moved on instead of attacking. There is no evidence that the dog was doing anything aggressive, although a growl was mentioned it might have had something to do with her posture. A dog does not go from asserting territorial rights to playful/just wanting to follow after a verbal challenge, so it's clear that either before or after the growly-voice thing she was misreading the dog's intentions.

I would still like to know what she thinks would have happened if she had merely kept walking away from the dog at a casual pace, not making eye contact, using avoidance behaviors to prevent aggression, rather than trying to convince the dog that she was bigger and badder and possibly provoking a confrontation. It's a legitimate question. I have to wonder if all of the dog/human confrontations and bites that we've heard about these days are happening because people no longer take the time to learn and to read dog behavior.

·
Registered
637 Posts
i'll tell you what could have happened loup, i mean no one could be 100% certain, I mean a meteorite could have fallen down from the sky, who knows.

But since the dog was already showing a mix of territorial and dominant aggression and the owner was nowhere to be seen, there's a good chance that if she continues walking, the dog would have chased after her and bitten her. or perhaps though well growling and barking is enough for today, but what if the next day she comes by, the dog is like WHAT THE HECK are you doing back, i thought i told you to stay away, and then gets more aggressive, since it won (in its mind) yesterday.

It's Keechak, she knows what she's doing

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i'll tell you what could have happened loup, i mean no one could be 100% certain, I mean a meteorite could have fallen down from the sky, who knows.

But since the dog was already showing a mix of territorial and dominant aggression and the owner was nowhere to be seen, there's a good chance that if she continues walking, the dog would have chased after her and bitten her. or perhaps though well growling and barking is enough for today, but what if the next day she comes by, the dog is like WHAT THE HECK are you doing back, i thought i told you to stay away, and then gets more aggressive, since it won (in its mind) yesterday.

It's Keechak, she knows what she's doing
I agree but I can't really see the dog chasing her if she camly walked away. If she were running I could see that triggering the drive, but walking away would probably send the dog relaxed signals, specially with her back to the dog.

·
Banned
335 Posts
GSDGAL, unless you're the OP, I don't think you can answer the question for her. So far we know that the dog trotted with its tail up toward her and her two dogs and that it stopped and growled from about six feet away. There is no indication of whether the dog's head was up or level with its shoulders. There is no sign that it was attacking or aggressive or whether it was just scoping out someone that it had never seen before and was looking for a response.

The OP said that she growled a "No!" at it and that it responded to her "command." "No!" is not a command; rather, it is a reprimand.

I'm not sure why I should be impressed with the OP being Keechak. I know nothing about Keechak or her training methods or her knowledge of dogs or training. However, I'm pretty sure that she can fight her own battles and answer her own questions.

At least you didn't use the rolling eyes icon this time. ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
You'd think that. But my foot isn't completely scarred from running away. A springer spaniel did the same thing to me, that it did to Keechak, when i was 13...i walked away and the dog mangled my foot...sometimes if the dog has an inflamed sense of dominance at that moment, you walking away can just send it over the edge..

·
Banned
335 Posts
What is an "inflamed sense of dominance" and why would a dog that had just been playing with a little girl have it?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You'd think that. But my foot isn't completely scarred from running away. A springer spaniel did the same thing to me, that it did to Keechak, when i was 13...i walked away and the dog mangled my foot...sometimes if the dog has an inflamed sense of dominance at that moment, you walking away can just send it over the edge..

Ouchy!

As every situation, many things could happen. Perhaps the dog picked up on fear. A lot of dogs around this neighborhood have a keen sense for fear and some are triggered by people walking by who are nervous.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
When the moment of truth comes, it depends on the individual owner's personality. I want my eyes on the approaching dog and a strong defensive stance I believe helps more than hurts. I'm not saying this is correct but if a dog that is in my care or my personal dog, is going to be in a dog fight their not gonna be alone. As far as I'm concerned anybody walking a dog should have either a stout walking stick(cane)or an aluminum bat. That's just me, I guess I'm confrontational. I am not advising anybody, it's just the world as I see it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts