Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I haven't posted since Fall 2011 when I had my other coonhound, Shooter. I had recently adopted him after her had spent 8 months in a shelter. Sadly, a year after I adopted him, he was diagnosed with lymphoma and I had to put him down.

I adopted another coonhound, Poppy, a little over 2 months ago. She is about 1 -2 years old. She had been found as a stray and had only been in the shelter for a few weeks. I have been crating her while I'm at work (I come home for lunch to take her out) since I got her. Recently, she has been really reluctant to go in her crate when she knows I am going to work. She goes in and out all the time otherwise just to give it a sniff or take out a toy. She knows when I'm going to leave for work and will just sit on the couch and not look at me. I have to lure her in with her kong and a trail of treats, but that isn't working anymore. I'm working on pretending I'm going to work and getting her in and then letting her out soon after. I'm just not sure what else to do to help. She is usually sleeping when I get home. In the beginning I had left bedding with her, but she began to shred it. I have a kuranda bed now, so she cannot shred anything.
Any tips would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nadine

Poppy.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody have any suggestions. I'm still having a terrible time getting in her when she knows I am going to work. This morning she went in not to bad. I had to make a trial of treats twice because she ate the first one and ran back on the couch. This afternoon took a lot longer. I'm just not sure what to do anymore. It's not that she doesn't like the crate she doesn't want me to go to work...

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Can you feed her her meals in her crate? Maybe put her breakfasts in there as you head out?

That's worked well for mine. Though honestly after Christmas break and no crating for a couple of weeks my younger is screaming her fool head off right now. And I can't let her out u fil she stops so I'm obviously no expert.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I am feeding her all her meals in her crate, but haven't tried feeding her and then leaving. I have considered that though.

She was stubborn about this in early December, but after a day started going in quickly again. She's regressed again and, like your dog, I'm sure it has to do with being home on the break and not being crated for a couple of weeks. I just hope she will get over this. It's awful to spend all this time getting her in and I end up getting to work late! It's so frustrating!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are you crating her only when you are going to work? Chances are she's associating her crate with your absence. We also use our crate during our mealtimes, so we can eat in peace without wondering where the puppy is. We use it throughout the day, when we're home and gone as appropriate, so he can see it isn't always correlated with one activity or event. It's helped a lot and now we can pretty much crate him whenever without much of a fight from him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have just begun to feed her meals in the crate, as I realized I had only been leaving her in there when I go to work. She goes in and out all evening, but she knows when it's the work routine. I am going to start giving her a kong on the weekend and locking her in while I am home for short periods of time. I'm hoping that will help! I just don't want to have this struggle every morning and after lunch. She is incredibly smart and since I work the same hours, I think she'll always know when it's time for work. I'm willing to try anything and thank you for your suggestions!

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Can you get up a little early a few days a week, bribe her into the crate, let her out again (like you had been doing, great idea!), go do something else, then re-crate. Creating a sporadic crating schedule can help her to not fall into the routine she hates.

Playing crate games in the morning and after you get off work can help too. Does she have a crate command? My dogs all know it as bedtime and I've spent a lot of time training them to go to their crates and lay down when I say bedtime. Positive association, plus there's a command there too. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi DJETzel. Thanks for the tip. I have considered this. On Monday I finally got her in her crate, got out and started the car, and remembered I forgot my computer! I ran back in the house, let her out for a second, and she went back in no problem. She knows the in and out re-crating game and thought I was up to that again! The hard thing with the morning is that I start the getting in the crate 20 minutes before I leave for work because it can take that long to get her in the first time. I wonder if I always let her out shortly after the first go-in I can do it a few times and she will be more interested in going it at first...
She doesn't have a command for it yet. I have always been saying 'crate', but haven't officially focused on that so I'm sure she hasn't learned it yet. Only had her for a little over two months and have so much to work on!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again everybody. We are still working hard. I had my parents watch her via skype for a day while I was at work. She wailed in the morning for over an hour and scratched and scratched at the door. Then she would check out the kong and relax for a bit and then back up and barking off and on until I got home. I came home at lunch and played some crate games and was able to get her in without a fuss. She was not impressed when I finally locked her in and she knew I was leaving. That afternoon she settled a lot quicker than the morning. I'm worried that is what she is doing everyday and I don't want her anxiety to get worse.
I have tried giving her a kong in her crate when I am home. She wails and wails. I've realized I may have to move slower. This morning she was barking up a storm and not paying attention to her kong. When she quieted a bit, I went in the room with her crate and worked on the computer. After a bit she stopped whining and ate the kong. I let her out when she was happy eating the kong because I didn't want her to start barking again.
I'm going to continue to work on being in the room with her while she has the kong. It's tough because I still have to work during the week and worry I won't be able to fix this. I have thought about getting a low dose of meds to take the edge off... but am really not sure. I'm also considering trying to barricade her in the living room. This is where she is most comfortable. When we are home she is happy as a clam sitting in the living room chewing on a bone and I can be anywhere in the house and she doesn't care. I wonder if she would adjust to me being gone better if she could stay there. My last dog enjoyed the crate and it was his little 'house'. Poppy just doesn't seem that way with the crate.
Anyways, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate the feedback and having this community helps me realize that I can do this! She has other issues I haven't gotten into yet on here... right now this is the major one that is my biggest priority!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts