Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 6 year old miniature schnauzer named Tori from a rescue group 3 weeks ago. She was an owner surrender due to a divorce and it's suspected that she was also the victim of abuse.
Aside from a rocky few days after getting her she has otherwise been doing great in the family. She gets along great with my other 3 minis and the kitten. She eats well and gets lots of love.
Since she's been doing better my roommate and I have been taking her with us to the dog park. We went twice with no problem and she loved it. Today we went again and she was doing fine. We were being followed by a playful 3-month old Staffordshire Terrier puppy who was mouthing at my other 3 dogs, trying to entice them to play. They weren't having it so he moved on to Tori. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but after being bothered by the puppy for a little bit, Tori suddenly collapsed onto her side, kicking her legs. I picked her up, thinking the puppy just accidentally knocked her over, but when I lifted her up, she was totally limp. Her breathing was normal, but she wasn't moving. After a couple of seconds Tori was able to stand on her feet. A few more seconds and she recovered and was trotting along side us again. This time, however, she stayed very close to us and only wandered away when she saw a couple of other mini schnauzers enter the park.

Has anyone ever had this happen to their dog before? I thought that maybe it could be a kind of "defense mechanism" she had developed from her old home. Tori's just fine now, but the experience was kind of frightening.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
It sounds like it could have been a seizure. Has Tori been checked out at the Vet? Usually unless it happens again, our Vet will not do anything but if it keeps happening they would probably do some tests and put him on medication.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was wondering, actually. I work at a dog day camp and there was one instance where a dog went into a seizure immediately after being brought into camp I guess because all of the dogs rushing him. I was thinking that maybe a very tiny version of this happened to Tori. This is the only time I've ever seen her do this. She has been to the vet when we first got her because she had fleas and worms. Aside from being a little underweight, she's healthy.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Get a vet ck and make sure they listen to heart. I had a dog with congestive heart failure, that would "faint" when she got excited. Not sure if heart disease is common with Schnauzers or not, but make sure they ck the heart.
Also get a heartworm test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts