Small dog clothes, Cool or Cruel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chiwat has more clothes than me...most are useful and fashionable. The opinions seem to differ on this from small to large dog owners. Some people think it is cool for small dogs and some cruel...what do you think? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think they are cute. Now for special events like dog fashion shows or Halloween events, we put clothes on our dogs. We do have quite a few for our dogs but our little one kind of freezes (like doesn't move) when we put a dress on. Sometimes she forgets herself and plays in them. Our bigger one (the Pom) will wear them but sometimes chews the straps. I don't leave them by themselves when they wear them. Now I never put clothes on bigger dogs that we had except at Halloween.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I wouldn't waste my money on dog clothes for my own entertainment . Red has a insulated jacket though for when we go fishing in the boat in the fall .

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It's not cruel if the clothes are comfortable and protect the dog from the elements. I have to put a coat on my elderly short coated dog in the ice and snow. to NOT do so would be cruel IMO.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I am not sure how to vote for this. I think that putting a jacket on a dog to keep it warm in winter is a good thing but I think it is cruel to dress dogs up as little Barbie dolls simply for your own enjoyment.

Making dogs into dolls is just wrong in my opinion. That goes for dogs of any size though they don't even make some of that stuff for large dogs. I have no issue with coats for warmth or even the occasional "outfit" that is comfortable for the dog to wear. All the stupid little shoes and tiaras and crap.... UGH! That is cruel.

I do wish that for large dogs the manufacturers could get it in their heads that cute would be nice for them too. I have Rotties and though some folks think of them as big muscle dogs, I know they are like Royalty and would like to look nice too. :rolleyes: I hate camouflage and it seems that is all there is for large dogs.

I think Inga would have looked beautiful in a pink coat with fur around the collar. ha ha Again, only if it was fit properly and comfortable for her to wear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We only make our dogs wear clothes when it is cold out, or a holiday such as halloween or xmas. They wear jackets only if it is winter or cold. It would be impossible to take my dogs outside in winter without a jacket, since the temperature often gets around -30celcius. In winter, we have to dress up our chihuahua to the point where her head is the only thing visible, because she goes outside and can't stand the cold. It would be cruel not to dress her up in that weather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lolita is funny, she loves to have her harness, which is the pretty pink dress, put on and will keep it on with no problem. The Toy Dog Brand hoodies she doesn't seem to care either way but we have to wait until it is cooler to put them on her. Try to put booties on her and she won't even walk! In any case I thin a doggie bikini is just silly.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Oh, there are lots of cute, comfy clothes on the market for dogs! I agree, most are geared for the smaller dogs, but we try really hard to stock some cute, fashionable coats for bigger dogs in our retail store.
I really LOVE the adorably fashionable & cute harnesses that are made so that they're basically clothes.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I wouldn't say that they are cruel, but I wouldn't waste my money on it either.
The only stuff I have bought my dogs are life vest b/c I go camping on a lake here, a little island on it. And a rain jacket, just incase of rain and he needs to go out, but I rarely use it.

My mom has a yorki and has clothes, she doesn't mind or maybe even likes them. So I wouldn't say that they are cruel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to Vegas in the morning to Superzoo to see what other cool stuff folks came out with and to try to find a distributor for my dog carriers. Wish me luck!;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts