Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I stop my dog from chewing shoes while we aren't at home? The bitter spray isn't doing it. She doesn't do it when we are there, only when we leave.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You can either a) manage your shoes so your dog cannot get to them (in which case your dog may find something else that's not good to chew on), or b) manage the dog so she cannot get to the shoes or anything else that may not be good to chew on (think: crate, puppy pen, puppy proofed room, etc.). Either way you should also provide your dog with something that she can chew and will want to chew, such as a stuffed Kong. I would also be sure that she is getting plenty of mental and physical exercise every day to help keep her content. And when you are home with your dog you should continue practicing redirection so that she may eventually learn to leave the shoes alone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The way my apartment is set up there is not a feasible way to block the shoes or block her from the shoes. When we are home, she doesn't even go near them. How long will a stuffed kong last for her (like how long before she gets it all out)?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You don't have doors you could hang a shoe holder off of, or a closet to put one in?

How long a Kong lasts really depends on how well you stuff it (freezing can help), what you stuff it with and how talented and interested your dog is. I've seen them last anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours or more. That said, you'll want to be sure to give your dog a Kong that is strong enough for her. I have one little dog who one day decided to simply eat through the Kong I gave him to get to the stuffing quicker instead of licking it out. Injesting chunks of Kong can be dangerous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts