Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently moved in with our best friend and he has a frenchie. He has now started chewing my things husband's and sons baby toys. We put them up and he will get will get up and grab our things and shred them. He would chew up the best friend couch and they were old and uncomfortable so he said we could put ours in. He ripped a huge square of the leather up. What can I do to get him to stop? I've lost hope!

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
I would be asking the best friend to lock his dog up when he can't supervise, and pay for your damaged items, but if that fails, see below.

First, make sure that the dog has plenty of his own appropriate chews. As you've been doing, put up and out of reach things he should have. If he's climbing up and somehow getting things he shouldn't sounds like you need to put them higher or in a closet, dresser, or chest.

He should be supervised at all times, and when you can't supervise you should crate him or put him in a dog proof room. If you catch him chewing on something he shouldn't redirect to the appropriate chew and praise him for using it.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Dicey situation if you are living with the friend without paying... since it is the friend's house or apartment.

Otherwise everything Lillith said plus getting containers and using gates to prevent the dog from getting at your things.

As to the couch.. well, it again depends on how you are occupying the property (as a sub-renter with a contract and paying or as an interim no pay situation or something in between).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, that must have been really frustrating, but if you also love dogs ,patience is always the key. :) and you mentioned that it is your best friend's dog so you really have to be more patient. Can I ask how old the frenchie is? Maybe he's going through a teething stage at this point. On the other hand, maybe you can make some homemade dog toys for him to play with. I’ve seen a good list of DIY toys here 49 Simple And Interactive DIY Dog Toys To Keep Your Pets Busy that you can maybe try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts