Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an 11 month old lab/border collie male dog. He is crate trained, but we discontinued using the crate after he was petty trained. We slowly worked him up to be out all day (roughly seven hours) when we are at work. For the last two months he has been out all day. The first month and a half went perfectly..... No accidents, nothing chewed up etc..... In the last two weeks our dog has chewed on the window frame and a corner of our brand new couch.

I want to know some ideas to prevent him from being bored when we are gone..... I really don't want him to be in the kennel all day if possible. After he chewed on the window frame we pulled the couch back from the window so he couldn't reach it..... Then a week later he chews on the corner of the couch. We walk him for an hour every night after work, and may need to start walking him in the morning too. It's just hard because we leave for work so early. We leave him frozen kongs with peanut butter and chewies when we leave. We are also working on him staying off the couch.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That breed of dog at that age should be getting more exercise than that. I'd walk him at least 30 minutes in the morning. Buy other toys like a kong and rotate them. Border collies are very smart, just a kong may be boring.

Also, I'd keep him confined to a dog proofed room for a while. He's still young, he may not be mature enough for free roaming all day.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We are going through this with Sasha. Chew toys and stuffed Kongs don't hold her attention away from furniture but a bully stick will. The price of bully sticks adds up; I found a place where I can buy them inexpensively in bulk.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Some dogs are never able to be loose in the house, for their safety. My brittany is 19mos old and she'd be fine loose, potty wise but she can't be, because of chewing. She chewed a cord for my computer, got a good zap. I'd rather she be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts