Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I recently brought my dog home with me after living away at college. The backyard is used often, as there is a patio, a little waterfall fountain, speakers, etc.

My dog has been chewing on the wires for the speakers, and has chewed on exposed piping for the fountain. I haven't been able to catch him doing it.

How do I keep him from tearing up the backyard further?

·
Registered
91 Posts
What worked for me was finding them something better to chew on, i got lucky and only had to deal with one or two chewing incidents, beyond that, my other suggestion would be putting a leash on them and walking them around the things you do not want chewed and waiting for them to try while you are right there to correct it.

I think that is how i avoided the issue, when i first got my dogs i gave them a tour of everything and educated them on what was off limits the very first day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a good idea, problem is, I don't think he'll touch it if I'm with him outside, especially on a leash. He's a husky, 1.5 years old if that helps.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
A husky left to his own devices is going to chew.
How long is he in the backyard unsupervised? How much exercise is he getting in general?
You can try coating the wires and pipe coating with a bitter but non toxic substance but this has to be repeated regularly until he learns. If he spends any significant time outside alone puzzle toys with food in them can be a boon. You may have to think about kennelling him outside in a run. Huskies dig, chew and howl when left alone..especially if they are bored (which is likely the biggest issue here).
They are also very talented escape artists...so be sure the backyard is secure if you have not already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts