Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH comes home from work today find our 9 month old aussie mix chewed up a remote to the TV. Now, he's chewed up stuff before (shoes) but he hasn't done it in a while and never hard plastic like a remote.

We exercise him regularly. In fact, this weekend he got extra exercise because we took him to the dog park 3 days out of 4. Monday he was there for two hours running around and having fun.

I've heard of dogs regressing in training around this age... He has been slightly mute to some commands lately. I was thinking we were coming to his (what is the equivelant of) terrible twos.

What things should we do to help prevent chewing (besides the obvious of putting things out of reach)? I'm planning on buying some extra chew toys this week.

Also, we do not crate him. I do not like crating a dog 9-10 hours a day while DH and i are at work.

Thanks!

Kat

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Hire a dog walker.
Doggie Daycare.
Management. (crating, putting valuables away, puppy proofing home)
Kong dispenser.
Music?
Walking the dog before you leave.
Continue to abuse NILIF.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Dogs are strongly attracted to the things that have your scent on them...shoes, socks, underwear, pillows and yes, tv remotes. It's their way of bonding/being closer with you and feeling secure/content in their surroundings. That's why I handle (and throw) the tennis ball alot....it's the number one toy for my Sheltie. Other choices can be a Frisbee, a Kong, a tug, etc....something you handle regularly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did know that was why he always went for my shoes... i've been better about that. It was just a bit shocking that he would chew up a remote. We have puppy-proofed the home.. just never thought he would go for the remotes.. we have a one year old cat as well, so sometimes the cat gets into the stuff we try to keep out of reach. He does have some stuff with our scent on it that we leave out for him (blankets, a couple toys).

Is the kong dispenser like the likit ball for horses? I admit that these past few weeks i haven't taken him out for walks as often (had to put my old horse down a couple weeks ago.. my heart horse, so it's been pretty hard), but we still play with him in the backyard. Fetch, chase, currently teaching him to jump as well. He gets a lot of exercise in the backyard, but i suppose not the mental stimulation of the walks. DH doesn't take him out for walks (usually does not).

Did not see the sticky on the NILIF. Started to read up on it and will see about implementing it.

I am a bit of a noob dog owner. I had dogs growing up (outside dogs), but haven't owned one in about 12 years. DH is more of a dog person than i (i'm more of a horse/cat person). Don't get me wrong, i love my dog! I'm just trying to figure out what works best for us. Thanks for the replies!

Kat

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Is the kong dispenser like the likit ball for horses?
In some ways, yes. The Kong itself dispenses food. The Kong dispenser dispenses Kongs throughout the day.
http://www.kongtime.com/

Is it at all convenient to come home at lunch to let the dog out for a short walk? Do you have any responsible young adults in the neighborhood you could employ to do this task? Just throwing ideas out there.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
DH comes home from work today find our 9 month old aussie mix chewed up a remote to the TV.

. He has been slightly mute to some commands lately. I was thinking we were coming to his (what is the equivelant of) terrible twos.

Thanks!

Kat
Maybe he is "mute" to the commands, because he chewed the remote and hit the "mute" button...

Re your problem- Gate him in a safe room. Leaving a puppy unattended for 9 or 10 hrs a day is asking for trouble. Puppy gets bored, has too much energy and destroys stuff.

If you aren't already, make sure he is getting walked twice a day, briskly for a long time (45 min or so). Not a stop, sniff, pee type of walk but a moving forward brisk walk.

Give him a Kong stuffed with peanut butter that has been frozen to chew on.

Make sure there are no electrical cords to chew wherever he is kept.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kong was a GREAT idea. Thanks guys! He just loves it. It's now his favorite fetch/chew toy.

We've also been work on NILIF. Honestly, we did some NILIF things already. I'm loving it so far.

He's been doing a lot better. Exercising him more in morning has helped, since we usually just exercised him when we got home in the late afternoon.

Kat

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts