Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog Ares has a black wound on his back. started about 6 days ago its very hard and smooth. i took him to the vet and she said he was burned by metal outside. but i dont see how thats possible. hes a long hair dog and i would think his hair would protect him. i noticed cause he was biting and hair was coming off, any ideas of what it could be wrong???

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Are you in the northern hemisphere where it's summer right now? A lot of things are hot enough to burn that you wouldn't normally think of, including fencing, any metal inside a closed, hot car, even a metal handle on a door facing the sun (we have to use the back door to the house in the afternoon because the sun beating down on the door makes the handle too hot to touch).

If you really think there's no possibility it's a burn, get a second opinion at a different vet. You need to know if this is something else so you can treat it/avoid it in the future.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
I'm not a vet but that doesn't look like a typical surface burn from a hot fence pole or outdoor metal object. He does look to have thick hair and most dogs would move away quickly from a hot object getting only a minor burn. I know my chain link fence rails get super hot in the sun now, but if I touch them, I can yank my hand away quickly enough to get at worst red skin.

Could it be a chemical burn?

Could it be a spider bite?

I would probably get a second opinion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts