Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
It really depends. For a dog who is generally more reserved, I encourage the soliciting to build confidence. For dogs who, like mine, would turn it into an endless sort of entertainment, I ignore it completely and I initiate all play. I think there certainly can be a middle ground, such as entertaining it sometimes but having a consistent word (ex. that's enough, take a break, not play time, etc.) that means 'stop pestering me'.

Also, there is a lot of grey between 'play with my dog' and 'ignore her and she will get into trouble.' It takes training for dogs to learn not to get into trouble, even if ignored. And if you are stuck playing with your dog OR she will get into trouble, then there is something else amiss here. When I don't want my dogs to bother me, they are either sleeping or chewing on their appropriate chew items. If ever I felt they were thinking of doing something I didn't want, into the pen or crate they go. I do this BEFORE they practice any unwanted behaviors so no habits form. It's up to you to find your balance. But I hope you are not at the mercy of your dog!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts