Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Re: Dog Breeds: Abbervations

'Saarloosewolfdog' is actually Saarlooswolfdog, with abbreviation SWH derived from the Dutch name Saarlooswolfhond. Another abbrevation would be just 'Saarloos' (pronounce: sahr-lows) The Czech Wolfdog is CWV (Czechoslovakian Vlčák) I think, but I'm not sure about this one.
The Estrela Mountain Dog can be called just 'Estrela'.
The White Shepherd is also called BBS (Berger Blanc Suisse) or WSS (White Swiss Shepherd), as the FCI recognized them as.
Oh, and you've forgotten a herding dog, the Mallorca Shepherd (Perro de pastor Mallorquin / Ca de Bestiar)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

Border Collie would actually be BC or Collie, dont walk into a group of BC people and call our dogs "borders", it is quite offensive. aisde from that, a Border is a border terrier.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Border Collie would actually be BC or Collie, dont walk into a group of BC people and call our dogs "borders", it is quite offensive. aisde from that, a Border is a border terrier.
TOTALLY agree!! I was JUST going to make that statement when I came onto this thread!!HAHA I suppose GREAT(BC owner) minds think alike!HAHAHA

I also call my Border Collies, "Collies" a lot! As that is what they are called in native lands!:)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

I agree, except with Collies, too easy to confuse with an actual collie. You say you have a collie and i'm going to think, well... Collie.

·
Registered
395 Posts

I agree, except with Collies, too easy to confuse with an actual collie. You say you have a collie and i'm going to think, well... Collie.
Its still what we call them though! :wink: "Collies" in my book are Rough Collies or Scottish Collies!:D

·
Registered
291 Posts

ya where I am "Sibe" refers to the ones bred to CKC standars and "husky" refers more to the ones bred for working/racing.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Central Asian shepherd is CAS or Russian version half is Central Asian ovcharka is CAO or SAO or many yeas ago Middle Asian Ovcharka is MAO. the Russian turkmen version is becoming separate from the rest and are known as Alabai or aziat, in afghanistan Koochee dog, In Kazakistan is tobet. Each region has a different type name and function. I dont have any more Alabais

·
Registered
77 Posts
English Setter = Lawerack, or Laverack, or Llewellin (or Llewellyn) Setter
These aren't really abbreviations, they are specific bloodlines of the breed, referencing the famous British breeders who are responsible for the appearance of the modern English Setter.

Edward Laverack developed his own prominent line of English Setters in the 1800s, to the point that "English Setter" became practically synonymous with "Laverack Setter." His dogs are the foundation of the today's show dogs. R. Purcell Llewellin started with Laverack dogs and outcrossed to develop a famous line of English Setters bred for outstanding field work. Generally, if someone refers to Laverack vs. Llewellin-type Setters, they are contrasting the bench/show/conformation lines of Setters with the field trial lines of Setters, though they are both the same breed.

On a technical and rather confusing note, the Llewellin Setter is listed as a breed of its own, distinct from the English Setter, in the FDSB (Field Dog Stud Book - the oldest purebred dog registry in the U.S.). However, to be registered as a "Llewellin" the dog must come from a very specific bloodline descended from the original Llewellin breeding... if there is any mix with other lines, then the dog is considered an English Setter. The AKC does not recognize the Llewellin Setters as a separate breed, they are all just English Setters.

Not at all convoluted, is it? Haha, anyway, I'm guessing the English Setter abbreviation is simply ES?

Oh, and "Lawerack" and "Llewellyn" are misspellings of the names, so if this list is still being updated, those can be removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dogue De Bordeaux is DDB and Cane Corso is a CC or a Corso. Like with the BC folks above, do not call a Corso a Cane around the CC people. Really if saying it correctly (Kah-nay) it just means dog in Italian ;)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

Yeah i never say my border collie is a collie, i get confused when people say collie, i always wonder if the mean a border collie, or a collie, however i often say she is a bc, and again i never say she is a border.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Finnish Lapphunds are often FL, Lappy/Lappie, or slk if abbreviating off their Finnish name (suomenlapinkoira).

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
For the Newfoundland dog we often say Newfie (which can refer to the dog or person from Newfoundland) or NFLD dog (NFLD being the island itself).

I have seen people take great offence to "Newf" without the "ie" sound. Not everyone will take offence to it but some parts of the island do find it derogatory.Where I grew up in Newfoundland not many people took offence to it but I have been chewed out by other Newfies for saying it.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts