Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just received the paperwork for my new German Shepherd and it looks like the dog breeder filled out and picked the name on the AKC paperwork for my dog! This actually upsets me a lot, because I've picked a name out I like and, well, he's *my* dog. Is this a common practice? I've never heard of it. If it's the industry standard, I'd like to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It said that he "does not sell for breeding" on the website. So I guess so? I'm not sure. I don't plan to breed him. There is nothing about that in the paperwork.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cali's breeder did that as well, for organizational purposes. She did alphabet litters so the registered names would always be "Silverwings A___" or "Silverwings B____" but the call name could be whatever you wanted. :) I admit that I was a little bummed too, but I was just glad to be getting her. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. You would think they'd have the common courtesy to ask if you like the name. Now I'm going to think of my dog as "Rocky" and get constant visions of 80s movies and a redneck pitpull I met named that once. Thanks for the info, everyone!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
From a practical standpoint, you can call the dog by any name you like... and as many names as fit... regardless of registration. For example, Fido, Heel!; Snookums, ready for bed?; Baby, want to eat?; Rex A. Shepherd, did you eat that rug?

As long as you're consistent, the dog will learn.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
If you are wondering "why THAT name?" Then just ask the breeder it could be she/he had a theme for the litter that each puppy had to have a name that matched the other puppies in a certain way.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The registered name doesn't mean anything, and you don't even have to hear it unless you show. You can name your dog whatever you want.

For the people who know these things--is there any process to change the registered name, or is it set in stone as soon as the papers go in?

·
Registered
569 Posts
The registered name doesn't mean anything, and you don't even have to hear it unless you show. You can name your dog whatever you want.

For the people who know these things--is there any process to change the registered name, or is it set in stone as soon as the papers go in?
Generally, the registered name can be changed, if the dog has not received any awards.

But most breeders I am familiar with choose the registered name for their puppies. Rarely have I known one to allow the buyers to name the pup.

But I agree with Willowy: YOU can choose your pup's call name. YOU have to live with it, after all! Henley's call name was one we hated when he first came to us. But his reg. name is *Kennel* One of These Nights. We call him Henley after Don Henley of the Eagles, who wrote and sang lead on that song.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It happens with cats too. Our doll faced Persian cat had a breeder's name that we didn't like and we changed it soon after we got him. Our Chihuahua puppy, a rescue litter, didn't have a name.

We've kept the names for our adult dogs and cats since it's less confusing for the animal that way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
our Rottweiler also got a registration name (the breeder gave it to him) but we named him Rocky ;) It's pretty normal to do so. :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
It's not like it's going to cause problems when you register him for school because his AKC name isn't what you actually call him.

Hamilton's name at the shelter was Duncan, but it's not like he knew it was his name or anything.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I have to say that my Rott's registered name has never really come up. I don't have his papers, and the only reason I needed to know his registered name was to look up his pedigree online. But that's not what I call him. You don't even have to put it on his vet papers.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Both of my dogs' breeders picked the registered names for all of the litter and for them, as with many breeders, the litter had a theme.

That being said, you can call your dogs whatever you'd like - I do.
Dreizehn's registered name is Rhapsody's Mystery of the Spanish Chest
Ruthie's registered name is Gaia's Bjort

Obviously, their call names don't have to have anything to do with registered names.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Breeders generally will register a litter of puppies before they are sold or before the buyer has supplied they name they want to call the dog. Your dogs registered name is what appears on any official paperwork including your membership of any dog club, official entry to any events or shows, and when registering future litters. What you actually call your dog is totally irrelevant to what appears on these official papers. You could call him s**t head if it suits you.
Some buyers choose to use the full breeders name when entering shows so you have an entry with the dog "Gypseyshepinblackmidnight" appearing and come prize giving the judge has to decipher who the frog that was. Can be fun sometimes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My GSD breeder also chose the AKC registration name for my puppy. Didn't matter to me, it's not like I call her that anyway. Call your dog whatever you like, the registraton is just a formality and unless you show the dog or compete, you will never hear the name again.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Very common for a breeder to either "A" choose the name, "B" must approve the name, or "C" have some requirement on themes or kennel name being in the name.

I picked Merlin's name. But I have picked the names of a number of her dogs.

She used to just write "CALL ME" (the kennel name) in the first spaces... Until someone picked are REALLY crappy name on a show prospect puppy.

It may be your dog, but the breeder is connected to the dog for life and beyond....... They have a say....

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was given the papers to fill out on my own, I had one year to send them in. I don't think the breeder should register any dog that isn't theirs-they might register the litter but I don't think that is the same as registering each individual dog, because that is a personal choice of the new owner. I think that you can change that if you register the dog in your name. Just go to the akc website and call them.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I've just received the paperwork for my new German Shepherd and it looks like the dog breeder filled out and picked the name on the AKC paperwork for my dog! This actually upsets me a lot, because I've picked a name out I like and, well, he's *my* dog. Is this a common practice? I've never heard of it. If it's the industry standard, I'd like to know.
It's not unusual for a breeder to pick the registered name so they can be sure their Kennel is included and often the litter is 'themed' so the breeder can track the breeding. You can, of course, pick any call name you want.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts