Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wish, but Boxers aren’t hypoallergenic (I know hypoallergenic dogs don’t exist, but it’s easier to say hypoallergenic then low shedding). :(
P.S. It looks as if the rock has blood on it. Is your pup bleeding?? 😥
All my life i suffered from dog allergies. Then a buddy of mine introduced me to his personal swami. To say the least i was more than a little skeptical but it was slow night, so i figured what the heck did i got to lose, aside from an arm and a leg the swami was going to charge me. After several sessions with the swami, my allergies have miraculously vanished, even poison ivy and mosquitos no longer bother me either, knock on wood... As for the red rock, looks like paint, another up and coming graffiti artist learning that spray paint cans eventually go empty...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Careful what you wish for

View attachment 264827
Lol!
All my life i suffered from dog allergies. Then a buddy of mine introduced me to his personal swami. To say the least i was more than a little skeptical but it was slow night, so i figured what the heck did i got to lose, aside from an arm and a leg the swami was going to charge me. After several sessions with the swami, my allergies have miraculously vanished, even poison ivy and mosquitos no longer bother me either, knock on wood... As for the red rock, looks like paint, another up and coming graffiti artist learning that spray paint cans eventually go empty...
Umm... What's a swami? Also, for the red paint... Sorry 😅

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello!
I'm Sophia. I'm looking for a furry companion (Aka a dog).
I'm looking for some breed suggestions. All suggestions must meet the following criteria:
  • Not too barky (But I can handle some noise)
  • Small or medium in size (Preferably 10-20 inches)
  • Good for novice dog owners
  • Moderate exercise (1 or 2 short walks and playtime in a daily routine; occasional long walks and hikes)
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Friendly enough to be in social events without showing any signs of aggression
  • Fits well into a family
I was thinking of either a mini/medium goldendoodle, a mini schnauzer, a standard schnauzer, a coton de tulear, a bichon frise, or a havanese. Tell me what you think!
Bichon, shitzu, mini doodle, toy poodle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
1st of all: My parents aren’t the biggest fan of poodles, so.... Also, even if I were to get a poodle, I would want a mini, not a toy.
2nd of all: I would like to take my dog on occasional hikes*. Do you think a Shih Tzu could handle that?

*My definition of a hike is a longer walk (1 hour minimum) in at least a slightly wooded area; I have learned from another forum that people have very different definition of hike.

·
Super Moderator
2,635 Posts
I honestly believe that most healthy dogs should be able to handle a hike like that, with of course the caveat that smaller/shorter legged dogs might need help up/down/over things on occasion. When I say 'healthy' I'm including both structural soundness (eg no bad knees/hips/elbows) and the ability to breathe freely, so for a brachycephalic dog like a Shih Tzu it's important to find a breeder who is doing all appropriate health screening and isn't breeding for extreme features (super flat faces, for example). But there's even Shih Tzus in dog sports, though not as commonly as border collies and poodles.

Of course you're not going to be going out with an eight week old puppy on a hike like that, and may need to work your dog up to a full hour as they become old enough to physically and mentally handle longer outings and more exercise, but most small dogs are a lot more capable of being great trail companions than people think. And you may need to take more precautions in regards to predators (including birds of prey) if you have a small dog compared to a large dog, depending on what's in your area, but in regards to whether they can physically handle a longer walk in terrain that's not perfectly flat, I think you're good.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I agree 100% with DaySleepers' post above - "most small dogs are a lot more capable of being great trail companions than people think"
We do a lot of hiking in the mountains of NC, and one of our favorite trails is a very rigorous 5 miles (about 3 hours to hike the loop) which includes numerous creek crossings, steep stairs & one ladder, places where the trail is nothing more than boulders which must be hopped across, etc... One time we crossed paths with a man who had a miniature dachshund with him who had walked the entire trail! I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it, but he said they did all sorts of hikes together & the dog loved it and kept up beautifully.

·
Super Moderator
2,635 Posts
Just keep in mind that dogs aren't so different than humans when it comes to how much exercise they can handle. It's probably not smart to take a dog who's been getting 10-15 minute potty walks for several months and go for a six-hour hike up a challenging mountain trail. But if you work up gradually, avoid super long or high-impact exercise with young puppies, and are keeping them active and healthy, you shouldn't have much trouble.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yes, conditioning is important when considering exercise options. My Standard Rat Terrier would routinely go in five to six mile walks three to five times a week. We sure didn't start out at that level, though. At ten pounds overweight, he could barely mange half a mile at first, and I wasn't much better. As the weight came off him, and we got used to exercising, we were able to increase our range considerably.

These days, with my GSD and APBT, we are lucky to go a mile and a half because all three of us are extremely heat sensitive, and carrying a 35 pound, overheated dog is no fun. Simon doesn't take super long walks either, just because he's still a baby at only 14 weeks old.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mini Golden Doodle ... Pretty much hits all your needs ... Super smart, Hypo-Allergenic, Small to medium sized, a great all around dog for new or old dog owners. Great family dog and loves to be social. That would be my choice for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Mini Golden Doodle ... Pretty much hits all your needs ... Super smart, Hypo-Allergenic, Small to medium sized, a great all around dog for new or old dog owners. Great family dog and loves to be social. That would be my choice for you.
Okay thanks!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts