Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I'm Sophia. I'm looking for a furry companion (Aka a dog).
I'm looking for some breed suggestions. All suggestions must meet the following criteria:
  • Not too barky (But I can handle some noise)
  • Small or medium in size (Preferably 10-20 inches)
  • Good for novice dog owners
  • Moderate exercise (1 or 2 short walks and playtime in a daily routine; occasional long walks and hikes)
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Friendly enough to be in social events without showing any signs of aggression
  • Fits well into a family
I was thinking of either a mini/medium goldendoodle, a mini schnauzer, a standard schnauzer, a coton de tulear, a bichon frise, or a havanese. Tell me what you think!

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Please note, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. There are dogs that are less likely to irritate people who are allergic, but "hypoallergenic" is a cute marketing term often used by designer dog breeders. Be wary when you see the term.

That being said, the breeds you have selected are all good choices, aside from the golden doodles. It is difficult if not impossible to find a truly reputable, ethical breeder of this "designer dog" who puts quality over quantity. Goldendoodles can also take after either of the parents...they might have the non-shedding, allergy sufferer friendly coat, or they might not. It's the luck of the genetic draw there.

Note the Schnauzers are terriers and they sometimes have...opinions. They have a high prey drive and aren't always great off-leash candidates. I might not suggest a Schnauzer for a first time dog owner.

A dog's confidence and sociability has much to do with their breeding. Whatever breed you choose, pick a good breeder who values temperament and health.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Doodles shed, and both poodles and goldens are very active dogs, especially as puppies, so golden doodles can be maniacs. Schnauzers are talky, territorial, and hard-headed (I love them). I haven't met many Cotons but I've heard they tend to be yappy, and a lot of them are on the nervous side but I can't personally attest to that.

I'd say that Bichons and Havanese from a responsible breeder who is selecting for good temperament are likely to meet your requirements. I'm trying to think of other friendly cuddly little floof breeds...maybe a Shih Tzu? A Maltese?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I know that there isn’t exactly a ‘hypoallergenic’ breed, but, as you said, there are ones that are easier with people with allergies. I’ll look into Havanese and Bichons. Are there any other breeds that you think would be good that I have not listed?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, Shih Tzus seem good too. Maltese are friendly, however, I think they are a little smaller than I would like. Thanks again!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But do you think a Shih Tzu could stand a hiking trip? Plus, we do like to occasionally go backpacking...

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
But do you think a Shih Tzu could stand a hiking trip? Plus, we do like to occasionally go backpacking...
If properly conditioned...probably. But, quite honestly, I don't know if they'd actually enjoy it for long! Almost every Shi Tzu I've known has been up for a leisurely walk around the block, but they're small dogs who were bred to live inside royal palaces. "Hiking" probably would not be on their list of favorite activities, depending on how far you're going on how difficult the hike is. If you're hiking on groomed trails that aren't terribly difficult to navigate, they would probably be fine, but if you're tackling difficult terrain I don't know how confident I would be in a Shi Tzu's ability to keep up.

Also note, Shih Tzus are brachycephalic, which might not be conducive to intensive physical exercise, especially in warm weather.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well then I’ll probably pass on a Shih Tzu. Are any of the other breeds that I listed that would have a hard time on a hiking trip?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you suggest? Please look at my first post to see the criteria the breed has to meet.

·
Registered
707 Posts
What do you suggest? Please look at my first post to see the criteria the breed has to meet.
I don't know every dog breed well enough to say (just finished doing a lot of research for myself to choose a breed), but at a guess you're going to have to make some compromises just like all of us. You want a dog that will be satisfied with "1 or 2 short walks and playtime in a daily routine," yet you also want a hiking and backpacking partner. So, for instance, the Shih Tzu would meet the first criteria, but IMO not the second. The smaller the dog the more it has to work to keep up, climb over things, and handle rough terrain. Not that they can't, but it's going to tire them faster than a similarly built larger dog. And high energy dogs who aren't going to be as easy day to day are the ones who will happily put out that effort. You could, of course, stick the small dog in the back pack.:)

·
Super Moderator
2,628 Posts
Any reason poodle isn't on your list? Yes you'd definitely want to avoid people focusing on breeding for dog sports or hunting (though the latter is mostly standards), but a lot of the companion bred toy/minis would fit your criteria quite well.

Just a note with the social event bit, this is something you aren't going to have complete control over. You can help by choosing a breed/line that's known for being social and outgoing, and by socializing your puppy to these kinds of gatherings early and positively, but just like people different dogs are going to handle social gatherings differently. Especially chaotic ones - multiple dogs, kids running around, strange or noisy activities, etc. compared to a gathering of older kids/adults chilling out in a backyard. Always try to gauge your dog's stress, even if they're not behaving aggressively, and know that there's times when it's kinder just to leave dogs at home.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello!
I'm Sophia. I'm looking for a furry companion (Aka a dog).
I'm looking for some breed suggestions. All suggestions must meet the following criteria:
  • Not too barky (But I can handle some noise)
  • Small or medium in size (Preferably 10-20 inches)
  • Good for novice dog owners
  • Moderate exercise (1 or 2 short walks and playtime in a daily routine; occasional long walks and hikes)
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Friendly enough to be in social events without showing any signs of aggression
  • Fits well into a family
I was thinking of either a mini/medium goldendoodle, a mini schnauzer, a standard schnauzer, a coton de tulear, a bichon frise, or a havanese. Tell me what you think!
All of they above (give or take) and so much more, a boxer dog...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know every dog breed well enough to say (just finished doing a lot of research for myself to choose a breed), but at a guess you're going to have to make some compromises just like all of us. You want a dog that will be satisfied with "1 or 2 short walks and playtime in a daily routine," yet you also want a hiking and backpacking partner. So, for instance, the Shih Tzu would meet the first criteria, but IMO not the second. The smaller the dog the more it has to work to keep up, climb over things, and handle rough terrain. Not that they can't, but it's going to tire them faster than a similarly built larger dog. And high energy dogs who aren't going to be as easy day to day are the ones who will happily put out that effort. You could, of course, stick the small dog in the back pack.:)
I could... I guess that criteria is hard to meet, isn’t it? 😅 And yeah, I could put the dog in the backpack, but at least when I go backpacking, it’s already heavy enough. Imagine it with a dog inside!
Any reason poodle isn't on your list? Yes you'd definitely want to avoid people focusing on breeding for dog sports or hunting (though the latter is mostly standards), but a lot of the companion bred toy/minis would fit your criteria quite well.

Just a note with the social event bit, this is something you aren't going to have complete control over. You can help by choosing a breed/line that's known for being social and outgoing, and by socializing your puppy to these kinds of gatherings early and positively, but just like people different dogs are going to handle social gatherings differently. Especially chaotic ones - multiple dogs, kids running around, strange or noisy activities, etc. compared to a gathering of older kids/adults chilling out in a backyard. Always try to gauge your dog's stress, even if they're not behaving aggressively, and know that there's times when it's kinder just to leave dogs at home.
The reason poodle isn’t on my list is because my parents don’t like them. But then why did I put Goldendoodle? Well, basically every Goldendoodle I’ve ever met was super friendly- Just like a Golden Retriever! And besides, the temperaments of the parents heavily influence the temperaments of the puppy, along with proper socializing. At least that’s from what I’ve heard.
Also, I would try to socialize the dog as much as possible. After all, even the most friendly breeds can become aggressive without proper socialization.
All of they above (give or take) and so much more, a boxer dog...
I wish, but Boxers aren’t hypoallergenic (I know hypoallergenic dogs don’t exist, but it’s easier to say hypoallergenic then low shedding). :(
P.S. It looks as if the rock has blood on it. Is your pup bleeding?? 😥

·
Super Moderator
2,628 Posts
Ah, that's too bad. Have they met any poodles or are they just going off the 'froo-froo' or 'snobby' impression a lot of people have of the breed? They're a lot more 'doggy' than many people expect if they've only ever seen dogs on TV and movies in full show cuts, and that coat can be trimmed pretty much however you want, including the popular doodle styles (I know some people think they naturally have a naked face). If you have the chance to go to a dog show or similar event with them once it's safe to do so (in regards to covid), see if you can meet as many of these breeds as possible in person - and poodles! - so you and your parents can get a better impression of what they're like outside of photos.

Temperament of the parents and good socialization is absolutely important, and will help, but each dog is an individual as well. Puppies aren't just blank slates - they have innate personalities and preferences and sometimes those don't mesh exactly with what we'd prefer. I only want you to be prepared that there's no way to guarantee everything when it comes to temperament, and that large gatherings (especially busy, hectic ones) are difficult for many dogs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m pretty sure they have met some, I mean, how could you get an impression of a breed without meeting one? Breed shows seem like a good idea, but I have no idea when any of them will occur! And, just like humans, I know that the individual dog has an unique personality. Large crowds can be difficult... But with proper socializing hopefully it won’t be that big of a deal!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I’m pretty sure they have met some, I mean, how could you get an impression of a breed without meeting one? Breed shows seem like a good idea, but I have no idea when any of them will occur! And, just like humans, I know that the individual dog has an unique personality. Large crowds can be difficult... But with proper socializing hopefully it won’t be that big of a deal!
The best way to find AKC shows is their Event Search. American Kennel Club - Event Search You will want to click on where is says "conformation events", select "all breed and group" from the options, and then select your state. After that, click at the bottom of the page where it says "retrieve events", and you will get a list of shows. To find out where they will be held, click on either click on where it says "view premium list" or "view complete event details".

·
Registered
71 Posts
You don't mention anything about trainability and grooming. As a first time dog owner, I would lean towards something with less grooming requirements.
1 or 2 short walks isn't enough exercise for most dogs, especially one that would be able to go on a hike as well.
Have you thought about a shelter dog? That way you know exactly how big it's going to be, some already have some training and most are potty trained.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You don't mention anything about trainability and grooming. As a first time dog owner, I would lean towards something with less grooming requirements.
I am actually open to all grooming requirements. However, I would prefer a dog that is a little more easy to train. Sorry for not mentioning that!
1 or 2 short walks isn't enough exercise for most dogs, especially one that would be able to go on a hike as well.
I also mentioned playtime. In my mind that means 30 minutes of fetch. Add that up to 1 or 2 short walks, and you get 45 minutes to 1 hour of exercise, which is more than plenty for many dogs.
Have you thought about a shelter dog? That way you know exactly how big it's going to be, some already have some training and most are potty trained.
I actually have! However, because a require a low-shedding dog, I would need to get a dog from the shelter that has at least one low shedding breed in the parentage. So I’m asking for breed recommendations for that.
All in all, thank you for your reply @Quinsation!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts