Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be moving to the middle east in the next two or three years and I'd like to either get a dog to take with me or get one once I'm over there. The only problem is that I've never lived in such an arid environment and I don't know what dog breeds do well in places like that. I would like a 'giant' breed. Wolamutes are absolutely gorgeous and I would love to have one but I know the desert isn't the place for them. Any suggestions?

(P.S.- If this is the wrong forum section for this question please let me know)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I'd be looking into sighthounds, several of which were bred for the desert. Greyhounds, salukis, and similar. If you can handle the exercise level needed, maybe a Rhodesian Ridgeback. If you're up for getting a dog once there, adopting a street dog locally could be a great option bcasue you could meet the dog and see its size and personality as a grown adult dog. Of course, what types of dogs are available is going to vary widely as the "Middle East" includes a lot of area and variety of cities vs rural, variety of cultures etc. You will want to make sure that you have dog friendly housing, there may be size limits or no-dog apartments that really reduce your housing options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're probably going to be in the southern Syria/northern Iraq area and housing shouldn't be an issue. I had no idea that Great Danes liked the heat so much! Of course some of those Sighthounds are really intriguing too. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing but you've given me a basis for some more research of my own. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Interesting choice of destinations.

Great Danes aren't all that heat tolerant in my oberservation of them during summer events here when the temps are around 90 degrees F or higher.

Aside from breed choice, you will need to research air shipment and ground transportation regulations/logistics (for example, the weight limit of the dog and crate for cargo shipment, seasonal weather restrictions etc), customs and entry rules, access to dog food or ability to provide a balanced homemade diet, and access to veterinary care locally.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Interesting choice of destinations.

Great Danes aren't all that heat tolerant in my oberservation of them during summer events here when the temps are around 90 degrees F or higher.

Aside from breed choice, you will need to research air shipment and ground transportation regulations/logistics (for example, the weight limit of the dog and crate for cargo shipment, seasonal weather restrictions etc), customs and entry rules, access to dog food or ability to provide a balanced homemade diet, and access to veterinary care locally.
Considering the conditions in that area, "interesting" isn't the word for it.

If I were going to the Middle East, I'd definitely pick one of the sighthounds bred in that area. They're made for that heat/low humidity, but they can also adjust to life in the US when you come back. There's a pair of Afghans I see every now and then (I live in VA), and they are gorgeous, elegant animals.

ETA: Nobody on Earth needs a wolf-dog hybrid. They are banned all over the US (and the world) and make bad pets, at best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering, considering that I've never seen them anywhere that was that hot. After researching on this site and others I'm probably going to wait until I get there since it wil greatly simplify things (not to mention that with the alarning frequency with which the airlines lose luggage I'm very distrustful of giving them an animal.

In regards to Amaryllis' comments about wolfdogs, and with no disrespect intended, I think that statement was overly generalized and unfair. If I was going anywhere where it was even remotely reasonable to have a wolfdog then I would get one. Moreover they aren't, in fact, banned all over the United States. Arkansas, Louisiana, Arizona, and Colorado allow ownership of hybrids with no questions asked while many states (including Florida, strangely enough) require a cheap and simple permit.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Remember to consider that if this isn't a very long term move, that any dog you pick will need to be transportable by air to move with in the future. Generally the sighthound breeds are within the size and weight for that and of course are not the snub nosed breeds which have a lot of airline restrictions and wouldn't be a good idea in a very hot climate anyway.

I think the "all over the US" comment was more like saying that people "all over the US" like pizza which means its a common thing in a wide variety of areas not that every single person likes pizza. Wolf dog bans are common and when there are no legal bans, there are often huge restrictions by insurance companies and landlords and homeowners associations etc. Wolf dogs are just a whole different ballgame basically.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Coben, wolfdogs are not easy keep pets. You don't get one and keep it as a house pet. They require that you build proper containment (think 12ft fencing with jump guards and dig unders, no chain link or wood it isn't cheap), you don't just pop one in your backyard and expect the 6ft privacy fence to keep them in and they don't take well to living in your house. They are legal in my state but many cities and counties ban them so just saying "well my state allows them" is only part of it. Of course "Wolamutes" are usually just designer breed malamute mixes people are trying to pass off as wolfdogs so you would be fine there (not from a legal standpoint when you misrepresent your dog as a wolfdog but as far as caring for it, no harder than any other malamute or husky).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(Sorry for the long reply time, I wasn't offended or anything I was just very busy)

Yes I've seen the laws and things and done research. If I do eventually get one, which isn't guaranteed anyway, it would be in northern Ohio on a lot of land and chances to run around. Honestly I would be happy to get a particularly large Malamute that just looks like a wolf because that would obviously simplify things and I mostly just really like how they look. But anyway, this somehow got very off-topic, I've all but made up my mind to get one when I get there. So thanks everyone for your input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.