Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am seeking suggestions for a small/medium Dog breed that will be a good companion to an adult in his mid 40s with Down's Syndrome.

The adult has his brother and wife (also adults but without down's syndrome) living with him as well as a part time caretaker.

He did have a dog before, a shih-tzu about a decade ago when he was in his late 30s and prior to that a pomeranian when he was a child.

He was not aggressive towards the Dogs, but at times does raise his hands as if he were going to spank them, but of course, he does not do anything.

The individual in context is not in the USA, he is in INDIA. Unfortunately, the rescue/shelter network is not that developed. Thus, while he can look at options in the shelters, most likely he will have to go through a breeder.

The climate where the Dog will be has hot summers and cool (not cold) winters. The house has a yard and plenty of space in the neighborhood to go for a walk.

He would like to get a male and will neuter it.

Please do let me know if you have any suggestions, or if I can tell you more specifics.

Thank you,
oxonian

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
A Bichon maybe, small but not overly delicate and generally good natured and friendly. Would require professional grooming regularly though.

Any breeds interest the other adults in the house? Would they go for daily walks? A Frenchie would mean minimal grooming and probably the right temperament but would likely need A/C in the summer and walks during the cooler morning or late evening hours

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

Thank you for your replies. A Chihuahua may be difficult to find in India :(

I think he (the adult with downs syndrome) and the other adults, as well as visiting family would be happy with a Dog that is friendly to family members who visit, loving and dedicated to the individual with downs syndrome and one can that manage in the hot summer - although the dog would be indoors in the air conditioning.

Yes, the dog would go for daily walks outside in the neighborhood.

Thank you,
oxonian

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
A small staffy might be a good choice. They are ever so enthusiastically loving, and comical, and do well in hot weather. Also very robust. The downside is that they are inclined to be dog aggressive. Not all of them are, though, and most are good if socialized well as pups. Another downside is that they tend to be escape artists and require good fencing.

Staffies are neck-and-neck with Labradors as the most common breed in Australia, so you should be able to find breeders in India.

Australian silky terrier could be another option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much! I must mention that the neighborhood where the Dog will go for walks does have some semi-domesticated strays. These are not aggressive, and tend to be cared for by some individuals within the community, but they are not housed or taken to a shelter.

Does this influence the breed of dog he chooses? He will have the dog neutered unless you recommend not to.

Is the staffie the bull terrier? if so, it may be too 'strong' looking for his likes.

I had an English Bulldog, so I like that look!

Thanks,
oxonian

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Since it is quite likely that he will run into loose dogs on occasion while walking, then I'd say it is better to avoid breeds with a higher tendancy towards dog aggression and possibly to avoid the very smallest and more delicate toy breeds because of their physical vulnerability (even a somewhat friendly large loose dog could injure an Italian greyhound or small Chi easily) and because the really tiny dogs can trigger prey drive in some larger dogs.

A mini schnazuer might be something to consider, if you keep their coats clipped short they are easy to groom, they are smart and attentive and sturdy enough to handle accidental rough handling or clumsiness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts