Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been doing alot of research myself, but thought it would be fun to hear other peopls ideas on what would be a good breed for me! It will be probably over a year till I can actually get my dog, after I get all moved out of this stupid rental house lol.. but its fun planning on my dog :D
What i want...

Size: not picky, anywhere from 15-??lbs
Coat: I like short or single coatet hair on dogs, Not alot of grooming, or tons of shedding
Trainability: I want a dog that is easy to train and likes to please, I dont like really independent stubborn dogs.
Personality: I like dogs that like to be with you, but doesnt nessesarily have to be a velcro dog, but that would be fine too. I like dogs that like to be with their people and are not independent. I dont really care how friendly it is with strangers, but I dont want an overly protective dog that may be untrustworthy with them.
Energy: I want to do sports with the dog, and can take it on daily walks, I also like to go hiking alot, so i want a fairly active dog, but not one bouncing off the walls crazy when i feel like having lazy days.
Also, I dont want a dog that cant be trusted off leash. I dont like really dominant dogs that you cant have around other dogs. I would perfer a breed that is not known for being bad with other animals, as I may have a cat someday. but thats not something im tooo picky about, as I really wouldnt trust anydog unsupervised with a cat anyway. would perfer a dog that is not horribly sensitive to the weather.
Hmmm, this is all I can think to add right now, but Ill prob think of more I forgot to add later :p
any good ideas?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
It sounds like your requirements aren't too strict, so lots of breeds would probably work. Will you be a first-time dog owner? Also, what sports are you wanting to do with the dog? Are you willing to consider a mixed breed?

Breeds that came to my mind are mostly herding or sporting types: a short (smooth) coated border collie, maybe a field bred lab or something along those lines. Don't expect either to be great with cats, although they can be trained.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! No this wont be my first dog, Ive had dogs growing up, we had labs and I had a rat terrier. both dogs fit me really well. But my boyfriend doesnt really want a lab, and he says they shed wayy to much.. rolls eyes*
I am wanting to do Agility, I actually trained my dogs myself to do it before, but was never able to actually compete in the sport, so would like to some day. also kinda interested in flyball. and obedience.
I am leaning very much toward another Rat terrier, she was my heart dog! but, Just wanting to play around with the idea of other breeds. I really like Vizslas and german shorthair pointers, and I think they could be a good fit, but ive hear the are extremly hyper, and am afraid i wont be able to keep up lol. anybody here have expierience with them?
Yes, I am willing to consider a mixed breed, and am very open to rescue as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually do really love shelties, my grandma had one and he was the sweetest lil guy. Its just so much hair though 0_0.. i wish they came in short coats..
I may be able to overlook the hair thing, ill have to the more research on them, I havent actually thought about that breed yet.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Hyper is a state of mind, and as such, it can be trained. I have a border collie X GSP mix. With that breed mix, you'd think she'd be hyper. In fact, most of my friends think she's hyper, because when there's something exciting going on, her enthusiasm goes thru the roof. She's up for anything - a long hike, a swim, playing ball, romping with other dogs, loving on people, whatever I can cook up. We compete in agility and disc (aka frisbee), and she's great at both - lack of drive is never a problem, quite the opposite really.
The big secret, though, is that her off switch is fantastic. She spends 8 hours per day in a crate while I'm at work. After exercise (physical AND mental), she sleeps in the evening while I unwind and catch up on more work. She's sleeping at my feet as I type this, and today she happened to spend more time in the crate than usual. She's super easy and calm, but goes from 0 to 100 at the drop of a hat, just the way I like it.

My recommendation to you would be to look at rescues. A lot of great dogs get dumped there because they possess the same quality that you want in a dog: drive! Lots of great sports dogs come out of situations like this -mine certainly did. As far as breeds, I'd look into border collies and mixes thereof. Lots of purebred BC's have short coats and mixes are even more likely to be short coated, in my experience. The mix can also take a bit of the edge off of their quirky personalities. Size-wise, you can find anywhere from in the 20-25 lb range all the way up to 60-65 lbs, although I'd recommend something on the smaller side of that for sports. What makes me lean toward BC's is that they have the kind of personality you're looking for: extremely biddable, not independent, easily trainable, generally good off leash, and generally not aggressive (although some, especially females, can sometimes be on the snarky side). If you're open to a slightly older dog (not geriatric, mind you, but not an 8wk old puppy - maybe somewhere around a year), you will be able to judge for yourself whether the dog has the personality and physical structure you're seeking.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
It sounds like a Papillon might be a good fit for you, but maybe I'm biased because I own one, lol! Your average Papillon might be a bit too small for you, but there are a lot of bigger Papillons in rescues and shelters. My dog, Basil, is a giant Papillon at 20 lbs!

But I think a great option for you would be to visit some dogs from a rescue or shelter and see if you meet any that you just "click" with!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts