Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a dog to go biking with and am wondering if anyone has any breed recommendations?

Here is some additional info about what I am looking for:

I am an avid cyclist and would like a dog whom I can cycle with. I enjoy offroad cycling but also paved and railroad dirt trails. Equally important to me, I work as a researcher and will be taking my dog to work everyday. As such I would like to get a dog that is social with people (and other dogs). Ideally I would like to get a dog that is social and exuberant but also in need of high energy activities and one that I could be confidant in regarding commands. Basically, I want an athletic, social, playful and controllable (for off leash bicycling) dog.

So here are some of my initial thoughts:

1) Soft-coated wheaten terrier. I grew up with wheatens and absolutely love the puppy-like exuberance they have with them throughout their life. I like how social they are with people and other dogs and the fact that they don’t shed. Major concern: because of their exuberance, I have concerns about their trainability to run without a leash (e.g., they become easily distracted and are not so into pleasing their owner). Less of a concern but still a concern – the longer hair collecting material. I say this is less of a concern because I don’t mind doing grroming regularly, but it may still be annoying at times.

2) Australian Shepherd. Several friend’s how had ranches had these and I was always impressed with how well trained these dogs are and how much they enjoy work. My concern with this breed is their social/outgoingness with regard to other people. Generally these dogs seem to form 1-a few close attachments and could care less about others.

3) Boxer – I never thought of this breed until a vet recommended it to me – it seems they are great energetic dogs that also have exuberance/playfulness like wheatens but are better with commands, etc. My major concern is drooling – I have not been around boxers much, but am concerned about their drooling, which would make people less friendly to them. I have friends how have a drooling one, and while the dog is interested in people, the people don’t seem to want to have much to do with him).

Any thoughts on these breeds for biking and my other lifestyle requests? Any other breeds you think I should consider?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Wheatens can be alloof as well (at least the ones I've met), and you'd have to keep them shaved down to prevent bringing home too much nature. Plus not sure how well they'd do resisting the urge to go kill bunnies.

Aussie for sure would work, but you'd have to make sure they were well trained and didn't go for the bikes on the path. They can be a one person dog but that's not a bad thing if they're not going to meet everyone and forget who you are.

Not sure how a boxer would handle heat and running...

Have you considered a hound or a mix? There are lots of lab mixes and hound mixes that would be perfect for biking.

In any case, remember that you'd want to wait till the dog is two and has had their hips and elbows xrayed and sent to OFA to make sure there aren't any issues before biking or any sort of running/endurance work. So an adult dog rescue would be perfect if you don't want to wait so long.

Lana

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I would suggest a Dalmatian
They were bred to run behind carriages
They have HEAPS of energy and stamina

They are loyal, though can be a bit stubborn
you would have to get one from a very very good breeder to avoid hip problems etc.
Also any dog you get wont we able to run until it is 18months or older

So a shelter dog may be a good option, they know they dogs personalities and can match you with a perfect fit.

Others may have other ideas though

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I started biking with Dexter when he was about 20-months-old. We think he's a husky/GSD/lab/ACD/boxer/million other things, so he definitely has the energy for it.

I'd be very nervous to off-leash bike with Dex. I wouldn't recommend it with any breed. Check out Bikejoring. or get yourself a bike jogger attachment... they keep your dog close and safe.

Any dog can decide to take off and ignore commands, no matter the breed. An off leash dog can also run into trouble -- like another, aggressive dog.

Another thing to keep in mind is the temperature. If it's hot, some breeds simply cannot be expected to run. Lots of people bikejor with their huskies, but wouldn't recommend it if it's warmer than 60 degrees/humid. I can barely get Dexter out of the house if it's above 75, so be careful!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The breed I thought of immediately was Golden Retriever. Extremely biddable, high energy, very playful and friendly. I'm sure a golden could easily be trained to follow you off-leash, and would certainly love the opportunity to run and meet people at your work. Most retrievers would probably work very well, actually.

With Australian Shepherds, yes they're extremely intelligent, but I don't think they're the most outgoing breed ever. Most I've met seem to be very aloof and even a little territorial with other dogs. Not really what I think of when I think of "social" or "friendly." A Boxer may be a good fit for you, but the fact that they're a brachaecephalic might be a problem when exercising, especially in the heat. I don't have any experience with Wheatens.

I agree with the others who have suggested you look at adult rescue dogs. It's a bad idea to let a pup younger than 18 months to two years old run. Personally I would love to get a Bernese Mountain Dog some day and do carting, but I know that if I get a pup I'll have to wait a whole two years! If I run across an adult when the time comes to get a second dog, there's a good chance I'll consider him, but if I get a puppy I guess I'll just have to be patient :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
German Shorthaired Pointer!

When you decide on a breed, make sure you wait until he/she is old enough to go biking..at least 12 months, preferably 18 months..

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
That's what I was thinking. GSPs can keep up an impressive pace all day long. They are generally very good with people, and not known for dog aggression. A fieldy English Setter is another good choice. They are as sweet as honey, and have a mind bending ability to put miles behind them. I defy anyone to meet a good ES and not fall in love.

The shelter option is seriously worth considering. Shelters frequently get presented with 6 month to 1.5 year old dogs that have "too much energy" for their owners. Also "hunting dogs" who don't pan out for their intended occupation. Lots of dogs in the Lab/Husky/Shepherd/Pit/Collie soup of mixed breeds make wonderful pets for someone who can give a dog something to do.

You should keep in mind that people-friendly and dog-friendly are not the same thing. My Golden was born loving humans, but has little to no interest in other dogs, and gets moderately pissy with other dogs who don't observe the proper etiquette.

You should probably stay away from Boxers and other breeds with very short muzzles. Dobermans and Dalmatians are go-all-day breeds, but careful attention must be paid to proper temperament. Skittish Dobes and snappish Dals are fairly common. Some of that is poor socialization and lack of training, but they can be a real problem. Good ones are awesome animals, though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There is a guy that lives near me that rides his bike with his Doberman. I would say GSD and I agree with other breeds that are listed.

I also suggest a shelter too.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
My first thought was a dalmation, they were origionally bred to run all day alongside carriages. That easily translates to running alongside a bike.

My GSD and my mutt both often will run 7 or 8 miles alongside my bike with no problems (and would do more if I conditioned them to it).

·
Banned
617 Posts
My suggestion:
Don't pay much attention to the breed.
Look for a dog that looks like it's built to run. One that shows an extra level of excitement. Finally one that is friendly.
It will take time with the dog before you can just ride a bike and have it run with you off leash. Any dog can learn to do this.

Obviously some breeds run better then others. Build is one way to tell the other is mental which takes time. Long legs big chest small waist longer snout all signs of a runner. Purebred or mix ... don't mater. If you look at sled dogs from the winning teams these days they are all mixes. From what I understand they are all mixing the Alaskan husky with greyhound, and German short hairs and dogs like this. They want the stamina of the husky and the speed of the hound.

Take a greyhound and an APBT. The greyhound is a sprinter while the the APBT is a weight lifter.

A local shelter is a very good place to find a runner. The guy in the link above found his short hairs at a shelter. If you're in mostly warmer weather I would also have to suggest something with short hair.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
One thing to consider is that outside of biking, how active of a dog do you want? Unless you bike every single day (and if you bike in town on pavement, you probably *aren't* going to take the dog on those rides every day), you probably want a dog with a MODERATE energy level, not a high one.

A moderate energy dog can, with conditioning, keep up with most hobbyist athletes with full-time jobs and normal workdays where the dog is not going to get a 3-5 hour run but a series of shorter walks and perhaps some ball-playing or dog park time. A high energy dog can be a full-time job to keep exercised all by himself!

I think a GSP might work, but unless you're very dedicated to obedience training properly, most of the pointers are going to range awfully far afield- definitely not a breed to count on to be attentive to a handler off leash by default.
Just something to consider.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would suggest a Dalmatian
They were bred to run behind carriages
They have HEAPS of energy and stamina...
Aren't Dalmatians guardians? Wouldn't that make them more difficult in a situation where they have to be friendly to everyone all the time?

Yep! That's what I was gonna suggest. A Vizsla too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
3) Boxer – I never thought of this breed until a vet recommended it to me – it seems they are great energetic dogs that also have exuberance/playfulness like wheatens but are better with commands, etc. My major concern is drooling – I have not been around boxers much, but am concerned about their drooling, which would make people less friendly to them. I have friends how have a drooling one, and while the dog is interested in people, the people don’t seem to want to have much to do with him).
I think a Boxer is an OK choice too, my only concern would be their short muzzle - and some are bred with "hyper-type" short muzzles these days. If you go with a boxer I would be sure to get one from lines that have a properly proportioned muzzle - a working line Boxer would be good.

The short muzzle will reduce the dog's ability to dissipate heat from their body (cool off) and may overheat while biking on a hotish day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wanna do the same thing

Anyone think an American Bulldog can be trained for light biking in the woods?

I worry because CT requires a dog to be leashed at all times and if I bike with a leash I worry i might hurt her.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
For actual breeds I would say Siberian Huskies are known as runners. I personally don't run with mine but have considered training her to run beside my bike. If you go out in the early morning or evening it should be cool enough for them. We don't go out on our walks or to the dog park until after about 6:30 or 7pm because she would get too hot and not be able to enjoy herself. She loves, loves, loves people and gets along with other dogs. But you could find your perfect dog at the shelter...I love my sibe and she is from a shelter...go look at the shelter for a dog with the personality/characteristics you are looking for. Take them out of the kennels and see if they like jogging/running and a mutt may be perfect for you. Everyone loves puppies so there is plenty of young dogs that no one seems to want just waiting to run with you.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Pretty much any high energy breed will do well biking.

But my first thought was a dalmation, as they were bred just for this job. As coach dogs who would follow coachs, traliers ect around for miles and miles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts