Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tried the one that is blue and has 3 posts in it..... it doesn't really cut the mustard for this dog. Any suggestions?

BTW, dog eats dry food.

·
Registered
583 Posts
For right now take a large flat bottom heavy dish/bowl and turn another heavy bowl upside down in the center and add kibble, but not too much at a time ( think single layer ). Try that and see if it helps.......... Durapet makes a stainless one piece bowl like this.

Best , oldhound

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the bowls personally i would look at food dispensing toys.

Kong wobbler etc.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the bowls personally i would look at food dispensing toys.

Kong wobbler etc.
I have never seen one of these, if you try this post back and let us know how it worked...

KatieLou , Those pics in your sig line are Beautiful.............................

Best , oldhound

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have never seen one of these, if you try this post back and let us know how it worked...

KatieLou , Those pics in your sig line are Beautiful.............................

Best , oldhound
Thank you.

The toys work really well for fast eaters. Some of the fosters we get never eat from a bowl and always eat from a toy. Brain testing and slows them down.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yup, Kit lost the privilege to eat out of a bowl soon after she came to me. I was just terrified of bloat.

She eats all meals from treat dispensing toys (wobbler kind, or the Tricky Treats ball - love that one!) or from my hand while we train.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Been wanting a wobbler but just have not gotten one, i usually put two tennis balls in his bowl or another large ball we have and so far he hasn't noticed he can just take them out, so he eats around them pretty slow. I have heard the wobblers are great!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just put 2 nylabones and a puppy kong in Charlie's bowl on top of his food. He has to work to eat his food from around them and under them, then he gets the kong out and works on the food that fell down inside.

I'm kind of new to the set meal time thing. My pit mix managed to free feed all his life and never had his weight vary by more than 2 pounds, even as a senior. My mal turned 12 and started gaining tons of weight, so I can't let him free feed, and I suspect the puppy would eat until he exploded.

·
Registered
63 Posts
+1 for the Kong. We've been feeding Fiona twice a day in bowl. Two days ago she got an extra-large Kong with a dinner-sized portion of wet/kibble at obedience school and she loved it! We had tried a little Kong before to no avail but the larger one allowed her to really get at the food. She went from eating supper in about 8 minutes to working at the Kong last night for 45 minutes!

The value is three-fold, she can slow down her eating, she can enjoy her dinner in the living room with us (with little mess), and it seems to wear her out or least to clam her down.

Hope this helps.
V.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Some dogs to tend to bolt their food. But before you do anything, please make sure that he is actually bolting his food and not just a fast eater. They aren't the same thing.

If your goal is simply to prevent your dog from bolting his food - which can cause problems - then any method that impedes the food's availability will work. The simplest method might be to just hand-feed him slowly or hand-dispense the food into his bowl. Almost as simple is to use an appropriately sized hard ball - not a tennis ball or sponge ball - and place it in the dish on top of the food. The ball SHOULD move around as your dog eats and slow down the eating. The problem there is that he may learn to simply remove the ball and then continue to bolt his food, so you may have to stick around while he eats - and if you have to stay there, you may as well hand dispense.

There also are many, many aids available at pet shops and on -line. and some do work.

However, if you goal is to get him to eat more slowly from his regular food bowl and without watching him continuously, then you have to do some actual training. Since you use a dry kibble, this will be very easy although it may take a little while, so don't rush it. Start by hand- dispensing the food into the bowl a little at a time. When he seem to be slowing down his eating - that may take a couple of weeks - then it is time to fade the hand-dispensing. Place the bowl in the middle of a large cookie sheet with a rim. Measure out his total food for that meal but only place a small portion of it in the bowl. Scatter the rest around on the sheet. Slowly increase the amount you place in the bowl. If he is seeming to revert to bolting the food in the bowl, you are moving the training along too fast - go back a few steps.

You don't actually need the cookie sheet. You can use a place-mat or a dog food mat or just use the floor. But the cookie sheet is neater.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts