Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people's thoughts on dog booties?

Here's my situation: I take my dog hiking, running, and biking with some frequency (2-3 times a week). She is mostly running on pavement. I live in Hawaii so it never gets cold or exceptionally hot. My thought is if we make sure her pads are well maintained, we probably don't need booties. My girlfriend thinks we should get them.

Thoughts? Personally, I think they are valuable for extreme cold, but see them somewhat as a marketing ploy - they have some value, but by and large aren't really necessary. That said, I can be swayed if people think there's strong reason to get some.

Last question: if you do use them, what do you have and do you like them?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I've never used booties on my dogs before. The only way I would consider them would be for extreme cold for a considerable length of time. Personally I think a dog's feet should be a bit toughened up otherwise they're more prone to cuts and things if their pads are soft.

What kind of dog do you have again? If you're running that often with her, you might want to consider a different surface since pavement can be hard of their feet. In the heat I will walk on the sidewalk, but have the dogs walk in the grass beside (if possible).

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
We use them in deep winter occasionally. Well, not full-on booties, but foot covers to give Sam a little protection from ice, salt, and wet snow sticking between his toes. I'd absolutely consider them if the pavement got dangerously hot around here, or if there were other issues (grass allergies, for example), but I'd say most dogs in most non-extreme situations don't need them. Even for us, it's more an issue of making Sam a little more comfortable than a serious health or safety concern.

Basically, if your dog is not showing discomfort/avoidance at walking on hot surfaces, and has no pad injuries or damage, it's not necessary.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a border collie/Aussie. It's mostly running on pavement, though I try to swerve into grass as often as I can.

She's 10 months old, but the vet said she was plenty developed to run and our trainer mentioned that he has Border Collies and would run them 10 miles a day when they were younger than mine.

Today I'm going to take her on a 10 mile run, but it'll be mostly road biking, unfortunately.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Personally, I use booties for my 11 month old German shep/boxer mix. Both in extreme cold because otherwise we can't be outside long enough in our minnesota cold and also when we are going to spend an extended period on pavement in the summer. I don't use them when we hike because it's very little concrete.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
Reaaaaallly depends on your dog. To some degree paw pads become conditioned to the surface to which they are exposed. Some of it's genetic. I have 5. 4 have paw pads that take basically everything fine. Dog 5 has torn her pads off on GRASS when going fast enough with enough abrupt turns. Given that she is also a highly active BC, yes. She wears boots for some activities.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Ten miles running on pavement is a LOT IMO but not as much for the dog's pads as for the impact to the dog's joints.

I would take a look at a coating for the pads called "musher's secret." I would also just LOOK at the dog's feet and see if they look sore, red, worn down and so forth.

I have never used boots on a dog for the simple reason that the reviews I have read about boots is that they come off....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts