Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I'm not a first time dog owner, but it has been about 13 years since I had a puppy. My boyfriend and I are looking into getting a puppy (we're not sure of the specifics just yet) and would like to be more than prepared before s/he comes home with us.

I would prefer books (but articles are welcome) on dogs, but more specifically training a dog. I was wondering if anyone had any book they "live by" or highly recommend. I'd really like to know all there is to know of training before s/he arrives. I guess that's the anal part of me coming out. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much in advance to all who reply!!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I suggest you get a daschund or mini schnauzer! They're cuties.
You can look on half.com and buy used books for cheap! ;) Good luck! Is it going to be a boy or girl?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would pick up:

Pat Miller - The Power of Positive Dog Training
for plain old "how to teach this and that trick", and a primer on how dog training works;

Stanley Coren - How Dogs Think
Patricia McConnell - The Other End of the Leash
for an overview on canine psychology... a big part of teaching your dog things is understanding how they view the world;

and the Dunbar books Curbside Prophet listed above for tips specific to raising a puppy.

http://diamondsintheruff.com/behavior.html
also has really helpful articles;

http://www.dogwise.com
is a good source of dog books.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it going to be a boy or girl?
I guess that's my next question for another discussion! My family has had one male dog and one female dog, respectively. Not that we didn't love our boy to pieces, but he was very troublesome. Our female dog was nothing short of an angel. So, as you could guess, the debate has begun.

My dad would love a male dog, some sort of testosterone thing, I think. I would love another girl, although I have no real concrete reasons as to why. My mom votes girl and my boyfriend is impartial; he just wants a dog. Period.

I have heard mixed reviews on boys and girls. I can't decide!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I like "Outwitting Dogs", by Terry Ryan. Also "The Canine Good Citizen: Every Dog can be one" and "Dog training for Dummies", both are by Jack and Wendy Volhard. Good, basic, sensible stuff for dog owners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts