Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did a search, but it does not appear that I am getting much (actually any) results. I am suspecting that the search is down though because I can't get the word "dog" to bring responses.

My dog thought i was taking her out or something today when I walked out with my roommate. I think she heard me tell my roommate "outside" and thought I was talking to her.

Anway, she took off into and ran about the complex, until we cornered her and she gave up. Maybe she thought it was a game, but she refused to come back to me when I called to her (and she has come back the other 2 times.). She didn't even seem to keen about me picking her up when I did get her.

What should I do if she does this again, and is there a way to prevent her from running? She normally doesn't even come near the door when I leave, it has only been this once (the other times have been out of a car). Is there a way I can teach her not to even run when she has the chance?

Matt

fwiw, she is a terrier.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Just work on teaching her a very reliable recall, or a solid heel to keep her at your side.

For door rushing, teach her always to sit/stay before going out the door.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She does come when called, but I have not tried when she is unleashed and outside :p. She does not yet know heel, but she is learning. She doesn't door rush either, and I always make her sit before walking out. I will walk out of the door and she will stay inside while I walk out, until I call her. Maybe I should start going to the dog park or work on her being unleashed. It's difficult living in the city... :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maybe I should start going to the dog park or work on her being unleashed. It's difficult living in the city... :(
DP is going to be HIGHLY distracting to work on off-leash recall. It's a good place to practice after you get it down though.

Try a quiet park and a 30-foot training lead. Just be aware of leash laws (and enforcement of said laws), technically the 30-foot training lead I used to train Hershey was against the law. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
She does come when called, but I have not tried when she is unleashed and outside :p. She does not yet know heel, but she is learning. She doesn't door rush either, and I always make her sit before walking out. I will walk out of the door and she will stay inside while I walk out, until I call her. Maybe I should start going to the dog park or work on her being unleashed. It's difficult living in the city... :(
Dog's don't generalize well. Zero has absolutely perfect recall inside. I've never called him inside where he doesn't instantly come to me. Outside, he's probably 7/10.

I would suggest a tennis court or baseball field. They're both general fenced in and large areas to boot. You can let the dog off leash in a low distraction area and not worry about the dog getting away. Another suggestion would be a 20 ft training lead. They can usually be had for less than $10 and if the dog runs off, you can reel her hairy butt back in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts