Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going on mini-vacation later this summer and taking Lincoln with us. We can take her everywhere we are visiting with the exception of 1 day.
Would you recommend crating her in the cabin for the day or boarding her somewhere?
When selecting a kennel/boarding service, how do you discriminate between them?
What questions do you ask and what criteria do you look for?

Does anyone have prior experience and recommendations for boarding services in the Jackson, NH area? Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
I would not board my dog in a location far from home, unless I had no option.

I am taking 5 dogs with me on vacation next month. We're taking crates, they'll be crated at the 'vacation house'. If you have a cabin and it's secure, I would honestly do that. That's me though. If I were going to board, I'd do it HERE, in my home town, where MY vet is accessible, that are close to the emergency contacts, and where if they get lost we dont' have to leave them unfound when we go home.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
As a former kennel owner/manager I'd suggest asking:
1. How many dogs are there in the kennel, and how many people are around to look after them; does anybody reside at the kennel and is someone around, and within earshot, overnight. It takes good staffing to provide good care. "Good" is hard to define. Some excellent kennel help are just old hands with dogs and have no formal training . . . some vet techs are great, others are useless . . . the ideal is a stable person with good judgement and a lot of dog experience. You don't want to find one person looking after 50+ dogs.
2. If the place uses hired help, how long have they been there (high turnover is a very very bad sign).
3. Google the place. Can you find any complaints.
4. Do they allow inspection of their kennels? (Fine if they only do so in restricted hours . . . people coming through a kennel DO disturb the dogs. But it's a worry if the owners won't allow people to see where dogs are housed and to ask questions).

I think your best option would be a sort of mom-and-pop small time operation, though a well-managed 'factory' sort of kennel would also be ok as it is only one day. What you want to try to avoid is marginal places with dubious management practices (such as putting unrelated dogs into the same kennel, not allowing the dogs any time outside the kennel enclosure, exposing dogs to dangerous conditions such as exposure to disease or attack by other dogs, crappy food, or runs from which they might escape).

One day isn't a huge thing for a dog . . . so the kennel doesn't have to be paradise. But you do need to insure that the dog will be safe.
On the other hand, one day is not long enough for a dog to settle in a new environment. So a one day stay at almost any kennel may be mildly traumatic, even at a well-run place.

Note, the ideal kennel varies greatly depending on your dog and your preferences. My kennel was 'play' oriented. We tried to cater to well-socialized, friendly dogs, and our regulars LOVED the place (owners report dogs perking up and getting excited when they recognized they were going to board. We had some dogs who clearly didn't want to go home). DA dogs did not fare well. We couldn't give them play time, and they got confinement with as much exercise as we could allow given the circumstances.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I don't know how far this is from Jackson but Karla's Pet Rendezvous is in Chocura. Awesome place.

I hope you can find someplace, they usually book quickly for the summer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies. We have decided against boarding. If we do leave her, we are going to leave her in the cabin crated while we are gone with the TV or radio on. It will be for 6 hours maximum. It is looking more likely than not that we will change our plans to do something dog friendly all of the days. Appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I think you're doing the right thing. FYI somewhere around Conway is the Lazy Dog Inn for humans & dogs!
Have a good time in Jackson. If you have kids, are you going to Story Lane or Santas Village?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We were going to spend one day at Storyland but have decided to do that later this summer. This trip is only 4 days and well be spent on one of the lakes, hiking, and unfortunately working remotely.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
@sandgrubber - good list of questions.

I'm in a situation where we are going on vacation and our regular sitters aren't available so I have to look into a kennel. My dog has never been in a kennel before and I'm having a really hard time with this. Our last dog had never been in a kennel either, and before we got our current girl I told myself I would get them used to a kennel just to make our lives easier... but it's really hard to think of putting my dog in such a situation even if it's common. I'm just paranoid about something going wrong, or her catching some sort of sickness, or her having to potty on a cement floor, or whatever... I just don't know what to do and I know people board all the time so I need someone to talk me off the ledge.

All the places I google have mixed reviews of course, which doesn't help. I did visit one kennel near my house and it seemed - OK. But we can't use that place due to location for this trip. Aaagghhh I'm just not sure how to trust people with my baby...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts