Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I heard before that dogs can get bloat from drinking too much water after or during exercise or playing is there truth to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
There are a several factors that are thought to contribute to bloat, and conflicting info about those factors. Genetics plays a role, as you will find some family lines that seem more prone to bloat. Some breeds are more prone to bloat, namely larger, deep chested dogs. Drinking a lot of water or hard exercise after eating is thought to be a possible factor. Swallowing a lot of air while eating is thought to be another possible factor. A dog that bloats once is more prone to bloating again (I know of one Doberman that survived seven incidents in his lifetime. He's been gastropexied after the first one, so the risk of torsion was greatly reduced, but he still required treatment.).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you are concerned go to the vet now. If vet is closed go to emergency vet.

There is a lot of information on the internet. Here is one.

Bloat is like us getting gas. It hurts but we burp it out. The danger is a dog's stomach can flip and kill the stomach which kills the dog. That doesn't happen with us.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are concerned go to the vet now. If vet is closed go to emergency vet.

There is a lot of information on the internet. Here is one.

Bloat is like us getting gas. It hurts but we burp it out. The danger is a dog's stomach can flip and kill the stomach which kills the dog. That doesn't happen with us.
I haven't had any concern from it with my dog just wondering so of when I take her running and give her water during the run if it's something I would have to be careful of.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Conformation is a factor. Long neck and deep chest seems to contribute. Stress is a big factor as well.

A dog who bloats once will bloat again. In cases where there is a history or a familial tie to bloating you can have a gastroplexy surgery performs (and is typically is done if there is a bloat and surgical intervention).

FWIW the thing that kills a dog in bloat is not so much the surgery or even the torsion should that happen. It is a change in the dog's blood chemistry that causes the heart to become arrhythmic that kills the dog (sometimes after the surgery has been performed).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Conformation is a factor. Long neck and deep chest seems to contribute. Stress is a big factor as well.

A dog who bloats once will bloat again. In cases where there is a history or a familial tie to bloating you can have a gastroplexy surgery performs (and is typically is done if there is a bloat and surgical intervention).

FWIW the thing that kills a dog in bloat is not so much the surgery or even the torsion should that happen. It is a change in the dog's blood chemistry that causes the heart to become arrhythmic that kills the dog (sometimes after the surgery has been performed).
What's fwiw?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts