Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/09/long-beach-police-shoot-two-dogs-one-fatally-to-stop-attack.html
LA Times said:
The unidentified owner of the dogs was trying to put the them in the garage when they began biting her, Fernandez said. Officers first tried to use non-lethal force, but the dogs continued to attack the woman.
A sad story, but brings up something that's baffled a lot of non-dog owners and probably a few new dog owners as well. I believe that my dog would never ever turn on me, but honestly I've no other reason behind that than "because she likes me". I'm not worried for myself at all, but it has me wondering:

How frequent do these type of events happen?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well, dogs don't just turn on you so you can take comfort there. That story is too short and only contains what happened leading up to the shooting at best. We don't know the dogs history or their history with THEIR own. When dogs are involved I always have to ask what the person who was bitten was doing. If she was just walking them to the garage like normal and they BOTH suddenly started biting her then you'd have me stumped barring medical issues.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think a lot depends on the owner(s) themselves. Dogs typically have reasons for their attack; degree of reasoning is really in the owners hands, how they are trained, and even the breed of dog. Outside of that and possible health/mental problems with the dog, I can't say I've ever heard of a good, respectful dog owner being attack for no reason such as this article tells.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I'm gonna assume that there are people who have been bit by their own dog. So a bite a yelp from owner and most times it's all over. Now 2 dogs enhances the "get out of control" program, a bite a yelp then 2nd dog gets into the program and chaos can occur. As far as the reason , who knows, sometimes dogs just like people do bad things. A year ago a friend brought an English Pointer over to board that he just purchased 2 months previous for hunting. He never had a problem of any kind and as I walked up to them the dog launched an attack and nailed me on my knee. The dog had never met me and had showed no animosity toward anybody else. Sometimes things just happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts