Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Sadly NO a 2 year old is not old enough to know how to behave around a dog. That is a parents job to teach the child but it is also a dog owners job to keep the dog safe. I am so sad to hear that the child got bit. Whether the child hurt the dog or not, in court the dog is going to be guilty as charged. I guess if it were me I would NOT have brought my dog into a situation like that or I would have kept him leashed around the child and blocked the child from coming around him. Maybe educated the child a little by showing him the proper way to pet a dog. Having a dog try to take food away from a child is a no no in my house. Then again, my dogs would be looking the 2 year old in the eye just standing there. I am extremely careful with my dogs around kids. NOT because they are not good but because they are dogs and dogs do not always make the right decisions on how to handle a situation.
My parents used to tell me that if I got bit by our dog they would give me a spanking. Granted I was a lot older then 2. I knew how to behave around the dogs because they had showed me proper behavior around them. They knew if the dog bit me it was because I was doing something wrong. They also knew that would stick in my head and I WOULD behave correctly around a dog. I think a huge apology is in order from you. I would NEVER have my dog around that child again though and would use it as a lesson of what can happen. Sorry you had to go through it, sorry the child got bit and sorry your dog had a bad experience.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Have you ever heard the term "terrible two's"? It is so true with a lot of kids that do not live with dogs. Your best bet for the safety of both kid and dog and to prevent a lawsuit and ill feeling with your friends, don't take your dog with you when you visit. Make sure your dog's vaccines are up to date to protect yourself and your dog. Apologize to your friend because the law will be in their favor. Yes, animal control can take your dog and quarantine it for ten days. Hope all turns out well for the child, you and your dog. Yes sometimes kids can be cruel and parents can be foolish. Inga is right. (I must have been posting at the same time as you.)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I work with two year olds and yes some might know better to back off but some are little .....s and will do whatever to whoever. I have one kid in mind right now. Anyway, I agree. People would win over dogs.

Our dog that died three years ago use to be terrorized by one of my daughter's brother. I remember the one time the kid (maybe three at the time) keep following my dog arround the house. The dog kept trying to get away from him. The mom did not pay any attention. Finally I could tell my dog was getting anoyed and I stood over her. The kid went to grab at her again. She turned her head quickly and I don't know if she was going to bite him or not but I stopped her in time. This dog was never known to bite anyone in her thirteen years. Now, this kid is thirteen and his mom was over a couple days ago and saw our present dogs. She said these dogs seem friendly - that last dog you just never knew what she was going to do. Ummm she was very friendly. Kind of bugged me about that comment.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
It's very simple really, DO NOT allow these two beings to be in the same room (or IMHO the same house). The pup has NO tolerance for this kid and will come to fear ALL children if this continues and the child has NO self control and can't be trusted around the dog.

If your dog continues to be exposed to this child, it WILL result in a serious bite and possibly the dog having to be euthinized.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My daughter is 2 almost 3. I have taught her from the time she could walk to respect the dogs. She respects everybody else's dogs also. She is smart enough to know how to be nice and not be mean. In my opinion people dont teach their kids nothing nowadays. They just let them loose let them run wild. In my opinion I dont think you are in the wrong its the parents fault period for not teaching their child morals. In court though humans win cause they dont give a crap about animals period. But I would never again bring my dog around the brat again. I really wouldnt be speaking to the parents either if they are gonna do what they said they was going to do. I would give them a good chewing out on how to better raise their child.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I run a daycare in my house. It is a must that ALL my dogs behave properly around the children.

I feel bad for your dog and the kid. BUT the child IS ONLY 2 years old. Kids at this age is somewhat unpredictable. YOU ALWAYS HAVE to be there when dogs and kids are interacting. I can trust my dogs to be around children BUT I will never ever take my eyes off of them while they are together. I trust the dogs, I have doubts on the kids. They dont know any better. You have to teach them how to properly interact with their four legged friend. Some kids who doesn't have a dog at home can be really physical and harsh with dogs.

You already know that the kid cant be trusted with your dog but why did you still took the risk of taking the dog over to your friend's house? Next time, please dont put your dog in a situation like that when he/she doesn't have to.

It doesn't matter what kind of upbringing a child has. If a dog bites a child, even if the dog is just defending his/her self, court sees it as DOG WHO BIT A CHILD. I hope you learned your lesson from this experience. Hopefully your friend wont take you to court or phone animal control. :(

·
Banned
749 Posts
Why would you bring your dog over to someplace where it was abused by some kid after the first time?.

I don't go along the lines of the terrible two's either. I have a niece who is a bit younger than 2 and she treats Lola with respect. My brother (niece's father) has 2 pit bulls that are around the kids all the time with no problems. His kids are being raised the right way, disciplined when needed and were never abusive to the dogs.

If it were me I would have told the kids parents the first time the dog was kicked and would have talked to them about disciplining there child about how to treat a dog. The child would never have been bitten if you did not bring the dog there after the first incident of the kid kicking the dog.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ghoti,

I'm not sure where you are from, but here a dog bite is not reported by medical authorities if the bite is "provoked". However, if you knew this child was being abusive to your dog then you also had a responsibility to keep them seperate, either by not bringing the dog with you or making sure the child and dog were kept a good distance apart.

It is too bad the parents don't correct their child for inappropriate behavior, and if they think it is okay for a child of any age to kick an animal, they would not be my friends, period. They sound not too bright and rather mean themselves!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
From as far back as I can remember, I was taught to stay away from the dog's food, to leave it alone if she began growling, to not pull her tail/ears. If I did, and got bitten, that was MY fault, not the dogs.

Unforunately, not all people believe in this, and your dog would definitely be at fault in the eyes of the legal system. Still, I have trouble understanding, as others, why you would bring your dog to a home in which the child is abusive.

When my niece was two (my brother-in-law was a huge dog abuser, even in front of the kids), she would come over and try to kick my mom's dog and yell that it was "bad" for no apparent reason. We had to make it very clear to her how unacceptable that was. I'm just glad my mom's dog never bit her, because my brother-in-law would probably blame the dog.. As he has a habit of doing. She caught on pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
From as far back as I can remember, I was taught to stay away from the dog's food, to leave it alone if she began growling, to not pull her tail/ears. If I did, and got bitten, that was MY fault, not the dogs.

Unforunately, not all people believe in this, and your dog would definitely be at fault in the eyes of the legal system. Still, I have trouble understanding, as others, why you would bring your dog to a home in which the child is abusive.
I agree completely. I don't let my dogs unsupervised around any child outside of my siblings. I espeically wouldn't let my dogs around someone, young child or otherwise, who had hit/kicked/abused my dog.

We had some relatives up awhile back. They have two kids, six and five, maybe. The kids have never been around animals before, so you can imagine the terror they were wrecking at our house. Chase the kitty, scream at the doggy, poke the birdie!!! I was going crazy trying to keep all of my fur-babies safe from two little monsters and trying to keep the two little monsters from getting hurt by a defensive bird, hyper puppy, and scared kitten. And the two little monsters' parents weren't even watching them. Oookay, then.

I was showing said two little monsters how to play with Chloe by throwing a toy, then having her bring it back so they can throw it again. All three of them were having a blast, when out of no where one little monster slapped Chloe across the face as hard as he could. Chloe, bless her little heart, didn't care, but I exploded. I told the little monster if he ever hit the dog again, I would smack him across his face and did-he-understand-me? He did, and went outside to play shortly there after. Chloe was then taken up into my room for the rest of the evening.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sorry about the incident(s) with your girlfriend's friends.
First of all I am not a kid person. I believe that pets are better than kids any day. Dogs usually listen better and love you unconditionally, where as kids and teens will show love/affection towards you only when you provide them with every silly demand...And like the other posters, I agree that a 2 year old doesn't really know it is not right to terrorize a dog, especially since the parents aren't raising him properly.
I think you will be okay concerning any "legal" issues because there was barely a scratch on the kid's nose. Your dog most likely will not be forced to be put in the pound and ran through a battery of social tests. Besides, any dog behaviorist would know right away that your dog was just protecting himself.
The mother has every right to be upset, and you have every right to be upset because the kid is being a huge brat. Like you said, keep your dog away from him. Good luck with everything, I totally agree with you...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I didn't read every word of the other posts, but it seems like thier sentiments echo mine; in no way is this anyone's fault but your own.

The most disturbing part is the comment, "..he is the most gentle and kind dog ever." This was written a few sentences after the part about the dog bitting a child!! To me, this is the scariest part. If your dog bit someone and you're not convinced either you or your dog (or both) are in the wrong; please find the dog a new home.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
All dogs bite if they are pushed to far. I would say getting kicked in the face for no reason is a valid reason for a dog to bite. No adult should allow a child free reign to harass or mistreat a dog, and expect the dog to just 'take it' indefinitely. That is an unrealistic attitude that so many people seem to have that a 'good dog' is a doormat that takes anything and never reacts. That is a dangerous belief that is setting things up for an injured child.

The unpredictability and often plain cruelty of small children towards animals is why so many bites involve children. Not all dogs know what to make of children, and many times the dog's body language that shows he is uncomfortable around the child is ignored by the adults until something happens. Only in rare cases is it because of a 'vicious dog'.

Supervision and responsible removal of a dog (or child) from a situation where a child is behaving inappropriately towards the dog is critical to avoid bites. It was wrong to keep allowing the dog access to a child that was known to hurt him. For the safety of both they should be kept separate. From what you said, it appears your dog tolerated being hit by this child repeatedly and didn't lash back. This time was the one time too many.

And just an aside, your dog did not 'attack' the child, he nipped it to 'scold' the child for hurting him. That is a normal dog communication behavior. If he truly wanted to attack the child, there would be more than a tiny mark on it's face. If your friend wants to just make up an excuse to sue you or get your dog taken away from you, she is a very strange 'friend'.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Why would you bring your dog over to someplace where it was abused by some kid after the first time?.
This was my first thought before I completely read your post. I'm sorry the kid was unkind to your dog. I'm sorry your dog bit the kid. But if you knew the kid could not be nice to your dog, why subject either of them to the other?

IMHO, this was an incident just waiting to happen. Sorry to be harsh, but you are more at fault than the parents of this child. He is 2; you, I presume, are an adult.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Last night we were over there and this child was eating some chips. My dog was interested in what was going on, so he went over to the child and smelled the chips. He probably licked one as well.
Either way, this time he must have hurt my dog quite a bit, cause he jumped up (when he's on his hind legs he's a tad bit shorter than the child) and gave him a tiny nip on the nose. He jumped back down right after and walked away. I feel that this was a simple warning to the kid from my dog.

Why did you allow YOUR dog to be in that childs face while he was eating???
Sorry, but if your dog was *interested* in my food and got close enough to LICK my food while I was eating I may have kicked him as well!!

Where are your dogs manners??

You knew this 2 year old did not know how to behave around your dog, yet you chose to bring your dog into the childs home, allow your dog to get into the childs personal space while the child was eating. Totally your fault on all accounts.

As far as your concern about: ( Anyway, I'm just annoyed by this, and now the mother is saying that if she took her kid to the hospital, some dog catcher people would come and take Howie and keep him for 10 days to see if he's ok to live in society or something. Do these people that take the dogs look into the situations?)

Dog catchers will not come and take your dog for 10 days to see if he is OK to live in society. If it becomes a documented bite then the dog needs to be quarentined for 10 days to be sure he does not have rabies.
Does your dog have an updated Rabies shot? if so have the papers handy in case anyone asks for them. You should go and show the mother the papers so she knows your dog is up to date.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts