Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, my fiance and I took our two dogs down to the dog park to meet up with my best friend, her boyfriend, and their dog. While we were there, their dog, Jadis (sp?) bit my dog, Cthullu. It was our fault, we know Jadis gets protective around food, and we were cleaning up from lunch, Cthullu leaned in to sniff a hamburger, and Jadis popped out from under the table and bit him before any of us had time to react. Thankfully it didn't turn into an all out fight or anything, because 1. The picnic table bench was in between them, so once Cthullu pulled away, Jadis couldn't follow, 2. Cthullu is a lover, and didn't respond aggressively to escalate situation, and 3. everyone reacted quickly enough to control both of them. Not fast enough to keep it from happening, but fast enough to make sure it didn't get worse... *sigh* Anyways, I've never dealt with a dog on dog bite before. From what it looks like, Jadis bit Cthullu on the lower jaw on the left side of his face. There was a bit of blood around his mouth, but once I cleaned him up, it looks like just a split lip, essentially. Both dogs are up to date on all of their shots, and neither have any known health issues. It doesn't look like something I would need to take him to the vet for, but being that this is a new experience for me, I hoped that I could get some advice. Obviously I'll keep an eye on it for signs of infection, and do my best to keep the area clean. Is there anything else I need to do, look out for, etc.?? Thank in advance.

·
Registered
933 Posts
As long as you have been able to stop the bleeding, really the only thing you need to do is keep the area as clean as possible and monitor for any signs of infection. Some swelling may occur (think fat lip) but should subside within a day or two. Signs of infection can include extreme swelling, area may be unusually hot to the touch and red, a pus pocket may occur and you may notice a foul odor develop. If any of these symptoms occur or swelling does not subside within a day or two a call to the vet for further treatment is definitely in order..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
A vet (at a lecture) recently stated she prefers to see the dogs sooner, rather than later after a fight. She mentioned that the damage you see on the surface is not always the full story. Sometimes there may be underlying damage that you can't see (especially around the face, neck and body). If the damage is minimal, they still prefer to treat before tissue damage or infection before it sets in. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean a trip to the e-vet, but a visit with your regular vet as soon as possible. You can use anti-biotic gel to keep infection at bay.

I'm more in the camp of better to be safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts