Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Dog bite on live TV

10K views 85 replies 38 participants last post by  ThoseWordsAtBest 
#1 ·
#7 ·
That would have been enough of a warning for me. Sadly, I meet a lot of people who would continue sticking their face in the dog's even if it showed its teeth like that for 30 seconds or more. I've had more than one person try to pat Casper and ask me about him while he is in the process of snarling at and trying to get away from their dogs (and while I am trying to get out of there).

#8 ·
If you read the story, it's all even MORE stupid.

Unknown dog in a high stress event then brought into a studio. Add a person shoving her face in his... It's pathetic if this dog has to die over this. Maybe Denver will now add another breed to the list.

I wouldn't put my face that close to any dog other than one I own.

#11 ·
Looks like no one on stage was paying attention to the dog's emotional state. You can almost see the wheels spining in her head a moment too late.

Though one thing I noticed as a new dog owner is that ppl always try to put their face next to my dog's face and smile, or even place fingers near her mouth before I sound mean and stop them.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Still it's stupid to put your face right in a strange dog's face.

THIS!!! What an IDIOT to stick your face into the face of a strange dog, especially one that's stressed. I truly pray the dog doesn't pay with its life for the stupidity of the owner AND the reporter!

#21 ·
I think it's better to watch it full speed. There's definitely less time in the warning than that video makes it seem
I disagree about there being less warning in that full speed video, yes the baring teeth was short, but there was several "im uncomfortable with this" signals before he ever bared his teeth! I see dogs give looks like that to me all the time at work, if I see that big panting grin, licking lips and mouth closing and opening, I back the heck off, because he is going to snap!

#24 · (Edited)
Of course but we're dog people. I doubt a lot of non-dog people would read signs like panting, lip licking, or a whale eye to mean the dog is feeling threatened. The girl that picked Mia up was shocked when I told her to immediately put her down and that mia was uncomfortable. She had no idea that Mia was uncomfortable or that if she pushed it she might have gotten bit. Most people do understand that a dog baring it's teeth is telling you to back off, though. This is in the end an owner problem because the owner should have DEFINITELY noticed the signals. Of course the owner sounds like he's not a really responsible owner anyways. I think as dog owners one should always assume that the other people interacting with your dog do not understand dog behavior much and you should always be on the lookout for signs of stress. Don't expect other people to read your dog.

But I don't see how a video that is in slow motion can't make the warnings more drawn out than the live speed video? I would bet if the dog growled at the speed in the first video, she would have removed herself. I think expecting people to understand the other signs is setting your dog up to fail.

I think the news anchor acted stupidly but I think the owner is very much more at fault.

#22 ·
Not to mention the whale eye he's giving! PLENTY of warning, the humans in the picture were just too ignorant to see it! Oh, and the snarl is always one of the LAST and often the shortest warning.

#23 ·
I'm very much a dog novice, but learning tons every day. I will admit that the only warning sign I noticed was lip licking and until a few months ago, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. That said, I know enough to keep my body parts away from strange dogs.

I hope the dog isn't punished for human ignorance.

#25 ·
Dyer was kneeling on the floor of the set petting the dog when the dog bared its teeth, raised its head and bit her on the face.
LOL Are we talking about dogs or dragons??

Thanks to my dial-up internet I can't watch the video but I did read the story. I will never ever understand why people thinks it's perfectly ok to put their face into the face of a strange dog. It's not a stuffed animal, people, it's a LIVE animal that happens to have teeth. :der: Use your brains for pete's sake. :doh:

#29 · (Edited)
Is the leash law violation because dog was loose before it was rescued. It appears since dog is quarantined it won't be PTSed, so some good news from this mess.

You would think that with the show Kyle's Critters The "Kyle" would have some experience/knowledge about critters, dogs included. She has paid her dues for lack of smarts.

#36 ·
Very surprised about the responses in this thread. I don't think the dog should be put down but it still shouldn't be biting. Period. I understand it just went through some very stressful times, but this is still a no tolerance behavior. The owner is most at fault for not assessing the situation properly and dealing with it.

I am getting a dog tomorrow, have been researching a lot and wasn't even aware that smiling and licking lips is a sign of stress, fear or aggression. Humans typically associate that type of face naturally with happiness (in the human face); it's completely reasonable for someone to interpret it as such. It's not every person's responsibility to be an expert on reading dog body language. Once again, the owner should have either better warned the reporter beforehand, or at least allowed the dog to leave.

Since the dog isn't being put down, nobody in this thread should be saying 'poor dog'. They should be saying 'poor reporter' (not 'stupid reporter', have some empathy for the fact that not everyone is a knowledgeable dog person).

#37 ·
Well, nobody told the dog, or most dogs, that biting isn't allowed. Dogs do bite, like it or not. Do I feel for the reporter? Of course, but her life isn't at risk, plastic surgery aside, she should be fine and fully recover. Poor dog, because there are people who feel like you do that dogs should never, ever bite, and some of them make laws that kill a lot of dogs. Maybe not that one, but others, and if his breed is banned, then it's just not a good thing at all.

The dog I had who had by far the BEST temperment of any dog I've met or run into, with people, with other dogs, you name it.... she did snap at a kid once. Sounds horrible, but I wasn't there, my SIL was with my nephew, who was teething, and likely she wasn't watching what was going on and just reacted when my dog suddenly snapped and barked at the nine month old. When I got home and checked on things, there was not a mark on the kid, he was fine, however there were multiple bites on the poor dog's ears, two perfect imprints of baby teeth (human) on several spots, through the skin. It never happened again, she was a great dog for another 12 years, having toddlers fall on her in her last years, getting smacked by strangers in public (she was eating cookies out of my son's tray, he thought it was quite amusing, I'd give him the cookie, he'd put it on the stroller tray, she'd politely take it.... this insane woman came up and smacked her muzzle but then got told off by me).

Nobody is really to blame, the owner likely has no clue of what kind of dog he really has (or he'd know they're not always the most social), the reporter doesn't know much about dogs or wouldn't put her face so close, and the dog should know that people don't understand dog that well (most of them anyway).

#38 ·
@Be Murda It SHOULD be common sense to all adults that sticking your face in a strange dogs face is just a bad idea. But unfortunately these days common sense isn't that common.

Knowing the signs of stress in a dog and the calming signals they give off, no that isn't common knowledge and no one is saying they are. It is 'poor dog' because he is and will be demonized over this whether he gets to live or not and none of it is his fault. No, all dogs should NOT be expected to put up with this and not lash out. It is unfortunate that the reporter was hurt but yes, here on a dog forum, the dog gets our greatest sympathy.

#39 ·
Since the dog isn't being put down, nobody in this thread should be saying 'poor dog'. They should be saying 'poor reporter' (not 'stupid reporter', have some empathy for the fact that not everyone is a knowledgeable dog person).
Well do you think it's possible that the owner of the dog has the same knowledge that you have, which is none except for the research you have done. The reporter is running a show about critters so this definitely puts her up on higher rung on the knowledge ladder.

4 yrs ago I got up on a ladder (real one) higher than I should have and took a header off ladder I broke a couple ribs and left wrist. You know what, I was pretty stupid, so the wife told me and I did not debate the issue. Wife was very sorry for me but she still let me know how stupid my ladder program was. I'm sure there is empathy for reporter but she made a not so smart move.

#46 ·
What the people on this thread are doing is less akin to your analogy than it is to the flawed logic that a woman who gets raped should be blamed because she was wearing a short skirt in a shady bar, 'asking for it'. This is an extreme example but a more accurate analogy.
I think I'm glad I was not so accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.