Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So we had adopted Rock about 4 weeks ago.
He is a very good dog, and I had never seen any aggression with him.

However last week, my Fiance was taking him for a walk and one of our neighbors walked around the corner with groceries, and our dog went crazy and started barking and nipped at his bag.

Then 2 days ago, Rock was on a leash in my parents back yard, and my dad walked over to a trash bucket to throw something away, and Rock came up behind him growled and bit his hand and broke skin.

Then yesterday, my Fiance was at our front door, and one of our other neighbors walked in from the back door to the building, and Rock went crazy and started barking and went to bit him.

We do not know what to do, the lady who had had him before, and said he did not show signs of aggression, only towards little dogs. ( he has a high prey drive).

And also, our landlord has received complaints about him barking aggressive when someone is coming in and leaving the back door to the building.

I do not know what to do, I do not want to being him to a shelter, because I know they might put him down. I do not want to give him back to the previous owner, because I worry he might bite someone else.

At this point, we cannot keep him. Our landlord is upset, and we cant lose our home. But I do not want to see him be put down.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're going through this! I'm assuming you adopted him from his previous home, and not a shelter? Breed specific rescues might be a good route to explore. And not all shelters will deem a dog unadoptable because of this kind of behavior. However, whichever route you choose I encourage you to be honest. The bite that broke skin technically should have been reported and your dog quarantined for 10 days. If Rock is up to date on his rabies vaccine you can quarantine in your home and it just means making sure he isn't in public or exposed to any other person besides immediate caretakers. This is just a precaution required by law. But I mention this because if you have the ability to hold onto him until you find a good route, it is much more comfortable for a dog to be quarantined in home rather than in a shelter. Of course, do what you need to do for the comfort and protection of your family! I know it is very hard to reach this point after bonding with Rock for a month, but it is not wrong to consider you and your family's needs and surrender a dog for issues you did not anticipate, especially ones that pose a risk to those around you. Regardless, best of luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear that you're going through this! I'm assuming you adopted him from his previous home, and not a shelter? Breed specific rescues might be a good route to explore. And not all shelters will deem a dog unadoptable because of this kind of behavior. However, whichever route you choose I encourage you to be honest. The bite that broke skin technically should have been reported and your dog quarantined for 10 days. If Rock is up to date on his rabies vaccine you can quarantine in your home and it just means making sure he isn't in public or exposed to any other person besides immediate caretakers. This is just a precaution required by law. But I mention this because if you have the ability to hold onto him until you find a good route, it is much more comfortable for a dog to be quarantined in home rather than in a shelter. Of course, do what you need to do for the comfort and protection of your family! I know it is very hard to reach this point after bonding with Rock for a month, but it is not wrong to consider you and your family's needs and surrender a dog for issues you did not anticipate, especially ones that pose a risk to those around you. Regardless, best of luck!
Thank you so much for your advice. It really does mean a lot. It is a tough time for us. We love Rock so so much and he is a great dog. We just never expected this behavior. Our landlord is upset. And we just worry about him biting someone and then us being sued or him being put down. We did not get him from a shelter, and he is up to date on shots, we have been keeping him at home due to the fact we are worried about him biting someone else. It is a tough situation and I just want to see what is best for him.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I seem to be a bit confused what advice you're looking for here. Based on the behavior, it seems that the dog might have fear aggression (seeing something "abnormal" like a man carrying a bunch of bags come out of nowhere or a guy carrying garbage to throw away) may just startle him so he uses his defensive instincts to protect himself. There are a few things you could do in terms of keeping him with the help of a dog trainer or dog behavioralist who could examine his behavior and try to come up with a solution. It could also be him acting out in fear as he's in a new home with new people, especially since the previous owner said he never showed any aggressive behaviors.
However, you said you can't keep him, you don't want to give him back to the person who had him prior to you, and you don't want to give him to a shelter...so your only option would be to rehome him with the information that he is aggressive in certain situations.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
This dog is a liability. If you rehome him, what exactly do you think will happen?? He is going to bite someone else. And that could come back to bite YOU. Ot he will end up on a chain to a tree with a dog house where he will live until he dies. Hardly seems like a "life."

Can the dog be fixed? Maybe. Hard to say without seeing the dog. This issue is he has bitten and he has bitten more than once. There are shelters who would take him and not kill him.. and a lot of those would move him on to a home and he will bite someone in that home or someone those people are associated with. There is a reason most shelters would put the dog down. The reason is liability.

He is a great dog? No. If he bites people who are not a threat he is not a great dog. He is very defensive and his defense is not reasonable. It may be the result of bad handling but it is more likely the result of poor genetics (dog behavior is LARGELY based in genes).

I know you do not want to hear this, but the reasonable thing to do, the best thing for the dog, would be to euthanize him.
They cannot all be saved nor should they be.

I know this is cold. I am sorry. This is reality knocking and it is not always what anyone wants to hear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts