Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two dogs, one is a 9 year old male (tucker) terrier chuaua mix. The other (rory) we arnt sure what she is besides a terrier, shes 4.

Tonight, rory bit tucker's ear, and made it bleed. What happend was I was eating something on the couch, and they were both near me watching, but when tucker moved, she started growling vicously, so I picked her up to put her outside, and she snapped at tuckers ear. This is the first time shes ever bit. But shes been growling like crazy (in the past 6 months)when he gets near her if theres something at stake, whether it be food or attention. What can I do to stop this behavior, she hasn't always been like this.
Thank you!

·
Banned
251 Posts
If this behaviour has been evolving for six months, why is Rory still allowed on the furniture, or for that matter anywhere near you when food is involved?

Google NILIF and implement it immediately. In the meantime, call a trainer/behaviourist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well I read the NILF.
I trained her to sit, and before she gets anything she has to sit. I've also ignored her when she wants attention a few times. Ive been doing this for 2 weeks now.

Shes not just growling when there is food. Here are some more examples.
-shes sleeping, and two feet away is tucker and she growls at him when he starts to lick his paw.
-my dad tried moving her so he could sit down, and she started growling, and whenever we actually pick her up thats when shes growls really load.

I guess I dont see how this NILF is suppost to help her weird growling sessions.
Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use NILIF before she gets food or treats, and even on before I put her leash on. What do you mean by get anything?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I use NILIF before she gets food or treats, and even on before I put her leash on. What do you mean by get anything?

You need to use it at ALL times, it's not just about her meal time, it's about her having to WORK for everything she wants. She's NOT allowed on the furniture ANYMORE, teach her "off" and enforce it. ALL members of the family MUST use the same techniques you do and enforce the rules or the training won't work.

use this blueprint:
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/lure-reward-training

You're going to make it a GOOD thing for the dog to stay off the couch instead of forcing the dog to get off. Remember to use something she REALLY loves, it can be a really yummy treat or a favorite toy. Reward doesn't ALWAYS equal food, anything can be a reward as long as it's high value enough to motivate the dog.

FightingWithDogs.pdf

I also agree with getting her cleared on her health. If this is recent it could be a tick born illness or her thyroid among other things. FULL tick titre, and a thyroid panel sent to MSU (6-panel). Remember that low-normal thyroid can cause behavioral changes and can't be detected by an in house thyroid (snap) test. Also have her eyes checked, it could be Glaucoma (which is VERY painful) or cataracts. Often behavior changes are the first indication of a health problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts