Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying my dog a nice (by which I mean $20-50 lol) dog bed, which I've never really done before. I don't really think he needs one as he's allowed on the furniture and yet chooses to sleep on the floor most of the time, but I'd like to have an extra spot to send him when he's being naughty and possibly try to use it outside to help him settle.

In the past I've really only used dog beds for dogs who can't get on the furniture (our very old dog) but the dog in question started jumping on the furniture with renewed vigor and making the young healthy dog sleep on the bed.

What's your opinion on dog beds, and what type? I might just use a crate liner so I can carry it with me but I do like the foam cuddlers lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,733 Posts
Our three dogs have beds all over the house. We place in in areas where they won't be underfoot. They particularly like isolated corner spots, which works out well for human foot traffic.

I would caution against using a bed as a "xtra spot to send him when he's being naughty." If you're going to have one at all, make it a happy place.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, the bed wouldn't be a punishment, just a place for him to go lie down lol. Usually we send him to his playpen or crate if he's being mischeivious.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts

My dog have many beds. Nice ones.

The one that gets the most use in one form or another cost 7.00. It's also ON the furniture already which, I'm sure, helps, but seriously. Novelty in beds is important. (That said, how much my dogs use a bed is individual to the dog more than the bed. Molly loves them, the rest can take or leave them).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I personally love the idea of my boy having a spot of his own to go chill. He just won't use them lol He prefers to be very close to us, so he just lays down under our chairs in the gaming room. I actually haven't tried putting a bed down there though. He has a bed for his crate, not for comfort though! He won't potty in his crate if the bed is in it, so I use it with that intention lol But bed's outside of the crate he won't touch!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We haven't found a bed that Annabel likes. I'm saving up for one of those expensive memory foam ones because knowing her expensive tastes (she only chews on laptop cables and designer shoes/handbags), that would be the one she finally likes. Granted, as it is now, she likes to nap in the bathtub, so....

Beckett just rips apart and guts anything soft and puffy.

I would love for them to have beds and comfy places around the house. Maybe now that Beck is a little older we'll give it a try!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
My dog is also allowed on the furniture, but he has dog beds everywhere. Mostly so he has a place to go if we have company and all the furniture is taken, and also a place where he can eat his snacks and not get it on my furniture. He only gets his messier snacks on his beds.

I buy the big round dog beds at Costco, they are around $30 to $45 depending on if you hit a sale or not. They also have square ones with pillows on the edge and smaller oval shaped ones with pillows, all for a good price and decent quality.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I buy the big round dog beds at Costco, they are around $30 to $45 depending on if you hit a sale or not. They also have square ones with pillows on the edge and smaller oval shaped ones with pillows, all for a good price and decent quality.
Yep! I have several Costco beds. The round ones are only $26-something here, can't beat that. The fancy memory foam ones with a bolster are ~$50-ish. Penny has one of those because she's old :D. Of course they only have the one size but that's fine unless your dogs are super big or you don't want a big bed for a small dog.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I go to the local thrift store and buy cheap comforters. We had them throughout the house when I had the older dogs. If they got chewed up or were otherwise gross I could throw them out and get new ones without being out a lot of money. The dogs could also wad them up and make their own perfect nests with them.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Since we've been allowing the dogs on the furniture they don't really use their beds in the livingroom, so we took them away. They are huge and take up a lot of space and it seems they were always in the way. They each have a bed in their room for the night.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Ours are allowed on the furniture too but there are dog beds all over. We have three Orvis memory foam ones in the bedroom. We have two Pet-O-Bed's here in the livingroom and another Orvis (non memory foam) in the diningroom.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
trainingjunkie posted a DIY memory foam bed suggestion in an old thread of mine and it was the best decision ever! It was less than $100 and my dog, who is 11, strongly prefers it over his other beds and even to my bed!

I think it depends on the dog. Mine loves soft cushy surfaces and will pretty much lie down on any surface you put down for him. He also has had extensive mat/spot training so it could be that... But I also know a lot of dogs who just like to stretch out on the floor. My dog is not allowed on furniture unless (rarely) invited, if that makes a difference...

·
Registered
216 Posts
The dogs are only allowed on the couch, but it's a small couch, so one dog pretty much takes up most of it. However, there are dog beds all over the house and all the dogs use them at some time or other. The cats like the dog beds, too, but they won't share, which makes the dogs sad.

The favorite beds are the ones with high sides.

The beds I (and the dogs) like are pricey, but they last a good long time, so I'm satisfied with them and most of them I've managed to find on sale.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Jackson looovesss his dog beds and he is allowed everywhere too. Sometimes he opts to sleep on the floor but a lot of times he loves nothing more than curling in his dog bed and he will choose it over my bed. Also, at night, I use cheap but comfy beds from Walgreens ON my actual bed because it keeps him off of my feet all night! LOL.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Mikee is a 75 lb Lab mix and he sleeps on the large double pillow dog bed (with no sides) from Costco. I don't recall the cost, but I imagine it cost about $40 and it isn't difficult to wash the cover. Unzip any bed to determine how to wash it, before you buy ... and also see if it can be thrown in the dryer ... or will melt.

Mikee is not allowed on furniture, but he can 'watch tv' with us in bed. When he is hot, he will sleep on a throw rug or the hard wood floors.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
We have four beds for two dogs. Well, really it's four beds for Ida because the only time Snowball uses any of them is when he leaves our bed because he gets stick of being kicked.

All four get used regularly. There are two memory foam beds in our room: I am very impressed with the quality of this Brindle Memory Foam bed - it is much nicer than the other cheap memory foam beds that I have encountered and both of the dogs love it. In the living room, we have an old costo bed - one of the square ones - and then we have another bed under the desk in the office, because Ida likes to nap there when someone's using the computer.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
5 beds for 2 dogs. 2 are stored, 2 in office, 1 in cleaned out fireplace. Currently fireplace one is occupied and other dog is laying in the sun. Ginger is a lizard and moves from down blankie to FP bed to carpet to tile to stay comfy. Both dogs are miserable if I don't put the office beds down when I am in there.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My dog loves her beds... all of them. :) She is allowed on the couch, but not while we eat, or at other arbitrary times. Basically she has full couch privileges until she won't listen if I want her OFF (hasn't happened yet, she's a good girl). But she has also learned that her bed is where good things happen. So if she wants attention, or food, or play, she'll scoot backwards until she is just barely sitting on her bed while looking at me expectantly: "Look Mom, I'm on my bed! Gimme something good!" LOL! We really only have so many because I've left a few while traveling, then get them back again later. So she has one in my sewing room, one in the office, one in the living room, and we have a Ruffwear travel bed which is awesome and she likes that too when we're camping. They range from cheap-o beds to nice memory foam $75 ones, and it doesn't seem she cares.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have hardwood floors and only allow them on the couch when I want to so they lay on one of their 5 beds most of the time
I have 3 beds in the living room enough for each one although they usually all squeeze onto the same bed lol and 2 beds in the bedroom almost always let at least one of them sleep with me unless it's really hot in the summer but again they can't come up unless I tell them they can makes things easier than trying to force them to get down I think
I just bought the large rectangle ones at petsmart for $20 they r easy to clean usually at least 2 dogs share one sometimes all three so they r def big lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.