Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have a 1 1/2 year old Silky Terrier and while she was sleeping on her bed a little while ago (around 11 pm) I went to go pet her and noticed that her bottom half was wet, as well as a fairly large area of the bed. Usually she's not too much of a licker, and I did not notice any incessant licking to get the bed and herself this wet. She is house trained and although she has had accidents in the past, it has never been while sleeping or in her bed/crate. After I woke her from her sleep, she noticed she was wet, licked her genitals, and then looked for another bed. I smelled the bed, and it didn't smell too much like anything. There was a faint smell but no strong urine smell or saliva smell. There was no visible blood either. When I picked her up and held her, my sleeve was wet. I had just taken her potty maybe an hour before this. She is an active dog, always outside, drinks lots of water.. she doesn't really ever have to hold her pee unless nobody is at home, which rarely happens (but did happen about two days ago - she was alone for about 6/7 hours), and even if she is alone for a couple of hours, she usually does not need to go potty after her morning potty until late afternoon anyways. This has never happened before, and even she seemed confused about it. She doesn't show any signs of pain.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT It's also allergy season and its even worse when you live in Texas... in case that matters. Also, she was spayed about 7 months ago when I adopted her. She is/was a submissive urinator - she's much more comfortable now but still pees when she's excited to see you lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
I'd bring her in to check for a urinary tract infection. Peeing in their sleep just isn't a normal healthy dog behavior, and often the first symptoms of a UTI are unusual changes in potty habits, even though they look and act fine otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi! Thank you for replying. All seemed fine the next morning when I checked her crate and she had not had an accident all night. This continued through the next day and into all day today so I figured maybe that was just an isolated incident. But then a few hours ago she peed a large amount of dilute urine near the door. Figured she needed to go and since nobody was there, she just went. Then when I went to put her in her crate for the night she ran off. I was just getting ready for bed myself so I didn't notice immediately but when I found her downstairs she was drinking water and as I looked towards the back door, there it was... a huge puddle of dilute urine.
Now I'm classifying it as huge and dilute compared to her usual urine habits. This was not clear, but a light yellow and its about 2-3x the normal amount she pees. Now I'm scared it may not even be a UTI and may be something more serious. Since I'm just a full time student and not her financial caretaker, I need to talk to my sister who is. Hopefully she sees this the way I see it.. she's still on me for calling a false alarm last time since Vet visits are not cheap.

EDIT Her drinking habits seem to be normal to me.. like I mentioned in my last post, she's an active dog who is outside a good portion of the day so she drinks a lot of water. Also, she does not seem to be in any pain when urinating. Tbh, she seems perfectly fine other than these accidents. She hasn't been eating much of her dog food as of recent, she's been trying to get table scraps instead. So for the past 2-3 days and on and off for the last few weeks, she's been eating less than usual.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
Goodness. I do hope your sister takes this seriously and gets her checked out. It could still be a UTI, but you're right that large amounts of dilute urine are also signs of more serious issues like diabetes, Cushings, or kidney problems. IMO this definitely deserves a vet checking her over. It could be as simple as the warmer temperatures have her drinking more and urinating more - my housebroken poodle will pee in the house if he's had an active, hot day and drinks a lot more than normal if we don't keep a close eye on him, he just can't hold it - but in my experience it's best to trust your gut when it comes to these things, since you know best what's normal for your dog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took her to the Vet this morning as she was peeing every few minutes and not even coming inside. Couldn't get a urine sample outta her since she had an empty bladder but the doctor said its most likely a UTI and she's on antibiotics now. Thank God its not anything more serious!! She already seems to be feeling a little better.
Thank you so much for your replies! It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
She could also be incontinent especially if she is peeing in her sleep. My dog is, and she is on Proin. It works great.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I took her to the Vet this morning as she was peeing every few minutes and not even coming inside. Couldn't get a urine sample outta her since she had an empty bladder but the doctor said its most likely a UTI and she's on antibiotics now. Thank God its not anything more serious!! She already seems to be feeling a little better.
Thank you so much for your replies! It is much appreciated.
It is easy to test blood for glucose levels and in fact that is the way most people with diabetes check their glucose. It is an inexpensive test too, the strips would cost the vet just a few cents if he/she has a glucometer and I can't imagine a vet that does not have one. . I am very surprised this was not done just to rule out diabetes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts