Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's 8 lbs, she's 6 months and she rarely barks. She does occassionally bark at dogs we meet but she seems confused about whether they are a threat she needs to challenge or not, mostly shw wiggles on the ground wanting to play after a bark/growl

But children are an issue- there aren't many in y life or in our neighbourhood (city) but she has an issue. Maybe it is a stage? Their size she seems to be triggered by, no bad experiences

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It's likely that, since there aren't many in your life or neighborhood, she just doesn't know how to percieve them. I would work on socializing her to children. So, if you see one, a block or so away, step off the path (so that you don't have to be too close if the kids are coming your way), ask her to sit, and praise and treat her if she is able to calmly watch them.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I live in the heart of SF, so can relate to the whole urban environment issue-- and when my 2nd Boxer was an adolescent she developed this as well... I realized I was actually making it worse but holding the leash tightly and haveing a negative reaction to the sight of kids (actually it was the parent-- I would think Oh no not another parent who is afraid of dogs/ or how my big squarely built German Boxer looked-- she was always accused of being a Pit Bull--- this was around the time that a Pit bull had killed a child left alone with it -- very sad, stupid story of unneutered dogs that had NEVER BEEN WALKED-- and the developmentally delayed boy left at home with them)-- the problem eased when I forced my self to relax and treated her(with high value treats) liberally around children, and the next year we had a child, so we all got a crash course in Baby101!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Going to a park and sitting inside your car with your dog, praising and petting your dog while they watch the wild little human beasts can be helpful. Just park far enough away so your dog can see the kids but he still feels safe. The distance will be up to your dog.

If you feel creepy watching kids play at a park, a Mcdonald's parking lot or evey Walmart can be great alternative kid-viewing places. Sometimes just letting a dog see how "weird" normal kid behavior is can help a lot.

I have fence-charging little kids where I live. I had to teach my pup that they come bearing hot dogs. Most kids are pretty cool about helping out if you spend a couple minutes explaining stuff to them.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
We just returned a boxer (almost 10 months old) to his former owner today for the same issue - we'd taken him on trial. He lunged at a toddler Wednesday (thank God I'm pretty strong and held onto him and we were across the street from her), snarling, growling, rearing up on his hind legs, twirling on the leash, and hackles raiesed, barking furiously. He was definitely in the red zone! The child's father was not pleased, as I can perfectly understand. The boxer had done the same to every dog - especially small dogs, we'd passed during our walks. I figured I could get him to eventually calm down regarding the dogs, but when he did it to a young child (around 18 mo. - 2 years old), that was the last straw. I live in a neighborhood FULL of children and dogs, and I couldn't risk the possibility of this dog getting away from me and attacking a child or small dog. OMG, I couldn't live with myself if that happened - never mind that a lawsuit would clean us out financially, and deservedly so!

Fortunately, I saw that the OP's dog is small. At least a dog this size is controllable. The boxer we had was nearly 60 pounds of unsocialized pure muscle - too much for me to deal with at my size. The previous owner was less than honest with me about this dog, to say the least.

I think the advice to let the dog observe from a distance is good, but the dog eventually needs to be around calm older children (one at a time), then work up to younger, and more children at a time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts