Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to the forum and hoping someone out there in the cyberworld might have some advice on diagnosing, as it were, barking. I’ve a rescue dog who’s been living with me for about four months now. He seems to have settled right in and I’m pretty clear about where he’s getting very well trained and where he still needs work. There’s one thing that’s absolutely stumping me, though – the neighbor downstairs complains that he barks constantly, loudly and for prolonged periods. My immediate neighbors on both sides can’t hear him, though, even when I’ve left windows open and when he’s with me he very rarely barks (I’ve heard a single bark maybe three or four times since he’s come home), so I’m having a hard time figuring out what the trigger might be. When I’m around, he doesn’t bark for attention, doesn’t bark when visitors arrive, doesn’t bark at passersby in the hall, including when the trash collection people come and pick things up from pass through hatches into the kitchen and once, when we came back from a walk to find maintenance actually in the unit, didn’t make a peep. I don’t think there’s a separation anxiety problem – when he first came home, he’d whine and complain for pretty short periods (less than two minutes) when I left and I eradicated that entirely, as far as I know by practicing going out the door for longer and longer intervals – eventually I took a book, walked down the hall and sat at the end of the hall for an hour and he was quiet. The neighbor’s a bit difficult to work with and won’t address me directly, but sends complaints through management, so the most expedient solution, just asking her, is off the table, for the moment. I know it could be that the neighbor’s, ah, unusually sensitive, to put it diplomatically, but a lively two year old being a noisy nuisance would not exactly be unheard of either. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to figure out if/when he’s barking when I’m not around?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Set up a web cam with sound. I think it's the only way you're going to figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're probably right. Perhaps if I can get one that's sound activated and records, I can get a fix on when as well as what the triggers are and match that up with time info on her complaints. There's a lot of construction going on in my building right now and it could well be that that's both a trigger and that she's also sometimes hearing other dogs, worked up about things going on in other parts of the complex. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts