Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bello is in his cage from 8 a.m till 2 p.m. just about everyday. he goes out to pee etc. and plays a bit then usually comes in and sits with my son or myself. he then goes back in the cage for a 2 hour nap from 5 to 7 then is maybe out for a few minutes again.

my neighbor recently retired from school teaching and she is always in her yard. she doesn't like bello because he is part pitbull (although i never admitted this to her because of how they are)and he for some reason barks at her when ever he sees her. he used to bark at her husband to but he played with him a bit and he doesn't seem to bark at him no more but her no matter how much i bring him over thier yard he doesn't like her and he will bark at her as long as he is out and like i said he is only out after 2 pm and before 5 p.m. and this is when it usually happens. she is not a nice person by the way. she screams at her husband all the time and calls him profanities. i know he kicked the fence one time while telling bello to shut the f_ _ _ up!

she now calls my home and leaves messages that she is tired of my dog and we will need to fix this problem or else. not sure what "else" means.

I have tried but they hate dogs, period. He is actually very friendly but in my yard he does bark at things that move or neighbors but not every neighbor and certainly not all the time. this is the first full summer that he sees everyone and like i said she was a full time teacher so he doesn't know her and she really doesn't want to know him!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
223 Posts
How long is he outside barking? When he barks do you go outside to correct him or bring him in? I'm trying to read from your post if he's outside for the full 3 hours between 2 and 5 in the afternoon, it sounds like he is and that he spends all that time barking at your neighbor. If that's the case then I can totally see why she'd be upset, it's bad behaviour and rude as a nieghbor to make others put up with the barking. The thing that I read here often is how neighbors don't try to get to know the dog.... well they don't have to. The only person responsible for training the dog is you and if the dog doesn't know your neighbor that's not her problem to fix. A barking dog is not cool, and it can frustrate people that live next to one into yelling at dogs to shut up, these people are angry for a good reason....
How about instead of trying to convince your neighbor to like and be nicer to your dog you try to curtail his barking at things that move and most neighbors? When I retire I would love to have full use of my backyard to relax and garden and I certainly don't picture dogs barking at me all the while I'm trying to relax on my property.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long is he outside barking? When he barks do you go outside to correct him or bring him in? I'm trying to read from your post if he's outside for the full 3 hours between 2 and 5 in the afternoon, it sounds like he is and that he spends all that time barking at your neighbor. If that's the case then I can totally see why she'd be upset, it's bad behaviour and rude as a nieghbor to make others put up with the barking. The thing that I read here often is how neighbors don't try to get to know the dog.... well they don't have to. The only person responsible for training the dog is you and if the dog doesn't know your neighbor that's not her problem to fix. A barking dog is not cool, and it can frustrate people that live next to one into yelling at dogs to shut up, these people are angry for a good reason....
How about instead of trying to convince your neighbor to like and be nicer to your dog you try to curtail his barking at things that move and most neighbors? When I retire I would love to have full use of my backyard to relax and garden and I certainly don't picture dogs barking at me all the while I'm trying to relax on my property.

he usually is out to pee only but occasionally my son doesn't bring him in and he is out for an hour at most. as long as she is out he does bark at her . we will bring him immediatly now as soon as we hear him becasue we don't want problems but it is almost impossible to be there every minute and i don't want to stop him from being protective of our home either but at the same time i beleieve if i could get her to be friendlier to bello and give him snacks etc. he will stop this. she is very hesitant to take the next step. her husband even said he appreciates me making the effort.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Excellent answer. I love dogs but even so, I find that a dog that barks and barks without someone correcting it and taking it inside if necessary to be very irritating.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent answer. I love dogs but even so, I find that a dog that barks and barks without someone correcting it and taking it inside if necessary to be very irritating.
he does get corrected. but without them making an effort like i am this won't work. she is a nervous wreck whenever i bring him to her to be petted. i take him in thier yard to walk around. i gave her snacks to feed him but she won't do it unless i tell her to. and he is outside 1 hour a day if that. she may have even yelled or kicked the fence at him to. he will have an easier time making firend than she will!

·
Registered
223 Posts
So the full time your dog and this neighbor are outside she has to put up with a dog barking at her because you don't want to curtail the behaviour of the dog protecting the house and this is something she has to fix?? If she's currently calling your home out of frustrating and the barking continues, the next step will be calling animal control and I think they'll agree with me when I say it's your job, not her's, to fix the problem. So I guess you have a choice and she's been nice enough to call you before going straight to animal control, you can be a good neighbor and work on training your dog not to bark at things that move and neighbors that walk by, and other nieghbors that relax in thier yard, or you can bring him in when he starts his barking.

Barking is just one of those things that's not condoned in most neighborhoods and even if you view it a protection of the home, most others in hearing distance will say it's rude, annoying and not to be put up with. Like I said, she's done more then most and actually called you first about the problem..... not everyone would be so patient.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
For years and years I did not have a dog and it irritated me to no end when our neighbor's dog would bark when he was outside (that dog is since gone to the other side of the bridge). So, Cherokee is not allowed to bark at anyone when outside, period. I do not correct him, I just ask him to come in if I hear him bark at anything or anyone. It is only fair to keep the neighborhood happy. No one is expected to like him or be friendly with him. He is my dog to love and to train.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry you have a neighbor who doesn't like dogs. It's hard being a "dog lover" and not understanding how others can't love those faces like we do! But, fact is - some just don't.

My dogs stay in our fenced back yard (we live on a golf course) so there is plenty of wildlife to bark at! When they start up - I quickly bring them back in. It teaches them that that behavior is not allowed. It really worked for me - especially when we remained outside sitting calmly on our lanai and the dogs had to watch us from inside. They learned quickly that if they wanted to be outside having "fun" too - they needed to be quiet, or they would go back in.

I understand what you say about the protection your dog has for your home. Hey, dogs are supposed to bark - that's what they do! So, if mine bark when someone knocks at the door - they are given a treat, pet and told they are "good protectors" - then expected to stop. You are rewarding them for what they are bred and supposed to do - but letting them know what you expect of them also. So, you don't have to worry about your dog loosing the protectiveness over your house - you just need to steer them away from the bad behavior.

Good luck to you - and hang in there, I know it can be frustrating with complaining neighbors! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you think your dog could be bored or have pent up energy? Do you walk him daily?

Maybe if you exercise him before you go to work he will be calmer and leave a few psychological toys out for him during the day (like a kong filled with his food etc)

Maybe your dog is just trying to tell you something ie he needs exercise and stimulation and he is just plain bored.

A barking dog is just plain annoying it is nothing to do if your neighbours is or aren't dog lovers. I am a dog lover but can be driven insane with my neighbours dogs barking - they are out at work all day and I have to put up with the barking.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
he does get corrected. but without them making an effort like i am this won't work. she is a nervous wreck whenever i bring him to her to be petted. i take him in thier yard to walk around. i gave her snacks to feed him but she won't do it unless i tell her to. and he is outside 1 hour a day if that. she may have even yelled or kicked the fence at him to. he will have an easier time making firend than she will!
They don't need to make an effort to do anything. It's not their dog.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah, I just can't see how this is in any way the neighbor's problem. She doesn't need to do anything.

I love dogs, love my dog, love most dogs I meet. I am this close to calling animal control on the dog across the street. He barks non-stop and the owner keeps him chained up all the time and the dogs scares the s$*t out of me sometimes.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all who replied.
My dog is a very well trained animal who gets a walk 5 to 7 days per week. He just is territorial and i don't want to punish him for that. I don't like the fact that he barks anymore than you do trust me i have short patience for it. i am not putting the responsabilities on my neighbor either like some of you are making it sound.

me and my neighbor agreed to try and make bello and her get along a few weeks ago and she is refusing to live up to her end of the bargain. my dog can't even bark at a squirl and she is calling me up. when he gets to know someone he is very friendly which is why i am trying to have her be a part of training, it would just be easier with her help instead of her hinderance.

i am not sure if i painted a different picture to most of you but trust me i am not an amateur dog owner.

i came here for advice not arrogance.

thanks!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
If she doesn't like the dog, and she doesn't have to, stop bringing him to her yard and making her interact with him. Clearly interactions with the neighbor aren't going to stop him from barking at them. My dogs bark at people they know and like and I correct them. It's on your end to correct him and stop the barking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
JCD -

I was thinking the same thing with some of the responses. I think if you had written at first what you underlined - people might have responded differently? Don't take it to heart - anyone who sees your pictures of your ice cream loving dogs would know that you care about your animals! (P.S. they know me very well at DQ... one small cone and two doggie cones!)...

Just remember - you can't control other people - you can only control how you react to them. Keep your training going with your dog and just do your best.

P.S... Your neighbor sounds like a real keeper... can you say U-Haul?! :D

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
This is why I'm glad I live in the middle of no where with no close neighbors...if my dogs bark, they aren't bothering anyone but me. ;)

Eddie is the "barker" of the family...lol...he LOVES to bark at the coyotes every night. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If she doesn't like the dog, and she doesn't have to, stop bringing him to her yard and making her interact with him. My dogs bark at people they know and like and I correct them. It's on your end to correct him and stop the barking.
Clearly interactions with the neighbor aren't going to stop him from barking at them.

i happen to disagree with you. not ever getting to know someone from a puppy is most of the problem. he is 1.5 years old or more now but i believe he would have no problem if they interacted a bit. if not then so be it. but if i don't try like a good dog owner should then we will never know will we! i know my niehgbors for many years . if they are willing to try then so am i , if not then i will deal with this differently.

For the 4th time, MY DOG GETS CORRECTED WHEN THIS HAPPENS.UNDERSTAND EINSTEIN! i am just trying to make everyones life better beofre it gets worse, and yes with thier help via thier willingness!!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Sorry this is happening JC..If the neighbor is aggresive toward Bello (kicking the fence) Bello isnt going to take to kindly to them. I also see your effort to desensitize him with the neighbors and neighbors yard and can understan why you ar doing so..I am just afraid that when he interacts with them and he "feels" her stress..It can only make matters worse. Obviously it is a very sad situation over there and maybe the only help would be for the neighbor to take a Valium...

I wish i had more advice for you other than what most has said above..

Maybe more socialization with other "dog people"... I dunno?

Good luck and give that sweet boy a scritch from me..

Maybe this will help?

Put bello on a long line.. when he goes off to bark..Give "quiet" command and reel him in..click treat... being repetitve will help him learn the quiet command.

I had to use this method with Dozer with the dumptrucks and golf carts..He would go bat shyt crazy wanting to bark and chase them. this worked for me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
well CLEARLY your neighbor doesn't like your dog EINSTEIN.
Why force the issue?????

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry this is happening JC..If the neighbor is aggresive toward Bello (kicking the fence) Bello isnt going to take to kindly to them. I also see your effort to desensitize him with the neighbors and neighbors yard and can understan why you ar doing so..I am just afraid that when he interacts with them and he "feels" her stress..It can only make matters worse. Obviously it is a very sad situation over there and maybe the only help would be for the neighbor to take a Valium...

I wish i had more advice for you other than what most has said above..

Maybe more socialization with other "dog people"... I dunno?

Good luck and give that sweet boy a scritch from me..

Maybe this will help?

Put bello on a long line.. when he goes off to bark..Give "quiet" command and reel him in..click treat... being repetitve will help him learn the quiet command.

I had to use this method with Dozer with the dumptrucks and golf carts..He would go bat shyt crazy wanting to bark and chase them. this worked for me.
thanks for your great idea DM. i think i may try this. that is the advice of a knowledgeable dog owner .thanks.

·
Banned
220 Posts
My question is why is Bello in a cage for so long? Maybe while everyone is out of the house, but that's about it. Maybe that's a reason for barking?

I know some are against no bark collars, but may be something to try?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts