Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my second dog, who is almost 3 years old barks every morning if I don't get up at my normal workday time (I only work 3 days a week) of 6:15a. Through advice I found on other threads, I started adding 5 minutes to my alarm each night and got to 6:35a with no problems, but then I needed to go into work early one day so I set it back to 6:15a and the next day when 6:16a rolled around she started barking. Whenever she starts barking she could go for hours (I've tested that) so I wait for a gap of 3 seconds before going down. Making a loud noise no longer stops her and doesn't make her pause.

Once she let me sleep in until 6:20a but for weeks now we have been stuck on 6:20a. I have neighbors so I can't just let her bark for hours that early in the morning. Has anyone tried something else that worked for them?

The scenario is that at night both my dogs are crated in the family room with a fan on for white noise. I definitely don't trust either dog yet and can't put in a dog door. I can't move their crates to our bedroom because I'm allergic and I just need one place to be my sactuary from the dander. She doesn't need to go to potty because sometimes she doesn't potty when I let her out after barking. I've tried putting the blanket all the way over the crate thinking it might be the sun waking her up (there are still some cracks for her to get air and I turned the a/c down even lower so she doesn't get hot) but that still didn't help.

Btw, since this started she has really started liking the sound of her own voice, she used to be very quiet but now she barks when she plays, when she is running or to get my other dog's attention.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Yes, barking can be self rewarding. One method to put "Quiet" on cue is to say Bark when you know the dog is going to bark, and then give him a treat, teaching him to bark on cue. Then, don't give him that cue. You may want to use that cue at a later time. But, now that you have paid more attention to the barking, you may have seen a pattern. So, get a very stinky treat, such as boiled chicken or liver treats. When he is barking and takes a breath or a brief break, place the treat under his nose to reinforce the break and say Quiet. When he stops to sniff, give him the treat. Keep repeating this for a couple of weeks. When you are confident that he will stop barking on cue without the treat, even for just a few moments, you may be able to transfer the cue to a buzzer or a bell, so that you don't have to say Quiet. If you can transfer the cue, then you may be able to counter-condition him to stay quiet when the alarm goes off, or when you get out of bed...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Two things.. because you responded to the barking by letting the dog out, you have (inadvertently) rewarded the dog for barking. Barking can be very self rewarding. My young dog is crated two and a half flights down in the basement and barks to let me know if he needs to go out. He also is on a time clock (Alarm goes off M-F at 5:00AM) and Saturdays I really just want to go to 6:00AM. He OTOH can tell time and is not a fan of this!

I can ignore him (own house and in the country) and that works for awhile. You do not have that advantage. I DO have electronic bark collars and I DO use them (mostly on one dog to keep her from barking at every little thing she hears as well as in the crate at training where we get frustration barking when other dogs are up in protection). I hesitate to use this device in the crate in the house because I WANT my dog to tell me when he has to go out.

Your BEST answer is to NOT let him out of the crate when he barks. Only let him out for silence.

In fact, the best thing is to only reward for silence.

If it gets to the point where the dog just barks and barks self rewarding, then an electronic bark collar will stop the barking. However, you need to be aware it cannot be on all the time (it can irritate the dog's neck) and it can suppress barking you want. The dog will also very quickly learn what that bark collar is (mine are like, "NOOO! Don't put that on me.." and I am like "Well dufous.. stop the noise and the collar stays off" and I actually have a dog that will be quiet if I just show her the collar). Essentially this device will silence the dog and do it well, but it doesn't train the dog to be quiet. It trains the dog to be silent with the collar on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Do you consider letting her out after she has been quiet for a few seconds rewarding her for barking?

·
Registered
180 Posts
It really sounds like you've got the dog trained to a schedule and she dislikes the change on your days off. Best thing is to vary it up, make it a bit unpredictable. Work or no, up at different times, feed at different times, to bed at different times. within a couple of hours of normal. Don't let her out for barking, make her wait 1 minute quiet before letting her out of the crate. Also you may want a sound that means you are getting up. Not being in your room, she doesn't know when you wake up, so she goes by what usually happens. Ring a bell when you wake up and, yes, that's going to be 6-6:15 for a while but, she will learn the bell means you are awake and, will be there for her in a few minutes. No bell, no out of crate. She wakes you, simply shout "NO" to let her know that was wrong and ignore her until you planned on getting up, then ring the bell and go to her. She will learn that until she hears the bell, you will not come to her crate, no matter what she does.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thank you! Do you consider letting her out after she has been quiet for a few seconds rewarding her for barking?
Yes. She barked and she heard you get up and come to the crate (and saw you as well). She KNOWS you won't let her OUT until she is quiet. She also knows that barking gets you THERE. Trust me. I have a smarty pants who does the exact same thing. Barks way down stairs in the basement crate. The minute he hears me in the kitchen he is silent until I get to the crate and let him out. Dogs are very very smart and (as someone once said) they are not Gold Fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts